Agera One

Estimable
Apr 11, 2014
I have a laptop. The ODD is completely dead, it is not even reading CD/DVDs. :( Anyway, I don't use it much :p. When searching in Google for installing SSDs in laptop, I came across a product like this caddy case. But it was meant for placing the HDD on it and can be swapped for the ODD whenever we need the use of ODD in laptops. Now since my ODD is dead, I don't need swapping! So, my question is - Can I place the HDD inside the optical drive bay came along with the laptop (like taking out the lens/reading mechanism inside it - since it's dead) without buying the above product while having SSD installed in the main bay?

Solution

Yes, either way you will need the caddy. :ange:
It doesn't matter if it's the SSD or the 2.5" primary HDD.

Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hey, Agera One!

I don't think you will be able to install any drive in the ODD bay without the specific mounting case (the caddy). :(
Here's an interesting review from the community, that might be useful to you:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-laptop-upgrade-optical-bay,3102.html
"In every case, the idea is to replace the optical drive with a special caddy that holds any other component that fits (SSD/HDD)."

Hope this helps! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Agera One

Estimable
Apr 11, 2014

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to clear. Installing SSD in the main bay and installing the existing HDD in the optical drive bay without caddy drive. I guess it's not possible :ange:

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

Yes, either way you will need the caddy. :ange:
It doesn't matter if it's the SSD or the 2.5" primary HDD.

Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution