Solved! SSD not showing up when installing Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

troemich

Estimable
Sep 26, 2015
I have an Asus ROG Gaming Laptop Model: ASUS G752VT-GC031T
It has an SSD and a 1TB HDD. It`s a newer model with Windows 10 already on it. I tried a factory reset with the built-in Windows 10 function, but it didn`t work. I checked in Disk Management and there is no hidden OEM Recovery Partition anywhere.
I put in a Windows 10 DVD and wanted to install. When I reach the part of the Setup where you can partition the HDDs/SSDs, only the 1TB HDD shows up. The SSD drive isn`t there.
I see the SSD in the UEFI/BIOS and the old Windows 10 boots off the SSD without a problem. I read somewhere, that I should try deleting everything with the "diskpart" DOS command, but that didn`t help either.
It can`t be the SATA driver, because the 1TB HDD gets detected fine. Not sure if the SSD is SATA though. It may be an MSATA or M.2 SSD Chip. Do they need special drivers, so the Windows 10 Installation Setup can detect them?

Solution
Ok. I fixed it. Seems like ASUS screwed up here. No Recovery Partition on the HDD or SSD and a faulty BIOS Version. The BIOS was in "RAID" Mode and there was no option to switch to "AHCI". You could only select "RAID" under the SATA Section of the BIOS. Downloaded the latest BIOS Version from the ASUS Homepage and the problem was fixed. I could now select either "AHCI" or "RAID". After switching it to "AHCI" Windows 10 Setup could see the SSD now.

troemich

Estimable
Sep 26, 2015
Ok. I fixed it. Seems like ASUS screwed up here. No Recovery Partition on the HDD or SSD and a faulty BIOS Version. The BIOS was in "RAID" Mode and there was no option to switch to "AHCI". You could only select "RAID" under the SATA Section of the BIOS. Downloaded the latest BIOS Version from the ASUS Homepage and the problem was fixed. I could now select either "AHCI" or "RAID". After switching it to "AHCI" Windows 10 Setup could see the SSD now.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.