Stairs That Automatically Light Up with LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie_macdonald

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Hehe, Neat ... Would certainly stop a few of us falling dwon the stairs in our morning slumber. I guess it would be a pain to install in a regular english suburb house tho :p

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Stuff like this is actually pretty easy to do, with regard to the electronics portion. If you're building a new house or doing some fairly significant renovations, then you can do this kind of stuff with a fairly minor increase to the total cost. Now if you want to retrofit an existing house or apartment with these sorts of features, that is a major PIA! It's like adding structured ethernet to an old house... you can do it, but it's very time consuming, and it never turns out exactly like you want it.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Yes, it's only reasonable to install on a new house (ie: still under construction)... installing it on existing house would be pain in the arse and probably would not justify the cost on either case.

delazaren

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Very good, they can prove essential in emergency situations when the evacuation of a building will require the occupants to use the staircases.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]delazaren[/nom]Very good, they can prove essential in emergency situations when the evacuation of a building will require the occupants to use the staircases.[/citation]

I was just thinking that!

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
I could use a couple of these. I fall on the stairs every time I try to go up them at night, they're in a super dark hallway with no light.

I don't see why you would need one for every step however.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]Yes, it's only reasonable to install on a new house (ie: still under construction)... installing it on existing house would be pain in the arse and probably would not justify the cost on either case.[/citation]

Why they are led's I bet you could do it off of some batteries instead of running wire. The batteries would still last longer than an incondecent

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]thackstonns[/nom]Why they are led's I bet you could do it off of some batteries instead of running wire. The batteries would still last longer than an incondecent[/citation]

Only problem with that is the triggering mechanism.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]I could use a couple of these. I fall on the stairs every time I try to go up them at night, they're in a super dark hallway with no light.I don't see why you would need one for every step however.[/citation]
For when you feel like dancing like MJ of course, can't do that without the lightup stairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.