Standalone mic or HyperX Cloud detachable mic fix

Mar 17, 2018
Hello,

I've been having trouble finding the best solution for microphone so for the time being I was using Logitech C270 webcam. I have Kingston HyperX Cloud headset (2015), it's microphone is dead. I hit up HyperX team and they've sent me another one. However the microphone that came doesnt work as well. Is there a way to run HyperX Cloud mic on it's own? A budget solution would be nice as well. As in a new microphone for around 50 euros. It can be anything like a modmic or even a condenser microphone. Whatever would give me a clear voice input for this budget.

Solution
sounds like your headset may be working and you have a connection problem.

What I would do to test, is connect it directly to both the front panel audio connectors then the rear audio connectors and see what is working and not.

First, try the front panel connectors - from the headset directly connect it (no adapters) to the headphone and mic connectors and right-click on the speaker icon and select "recording devices". If you have to, right-click in the white space and check both "show connected" and "show disabled" devices. On most boards it will be "microphone / realtek HD audio" or similar. If you don't see them open up the realtek HD audio manager and configure the jacks as needed (probably the source of your problem)...
sounds like your headset may be working and you have a connection problem.

What I would do to test, is connect it directly to both the front panel audio connectors then the rear audio connectors and see what is working and not.

First, try the front panel connectors - from the headset directly connect it (no adapters) to the headphone and mic connectors and right-click on the speaker icon and select "recording devices". If you have to, right-click in the white space and check both "show connected" and "show disabled" devices. On most boards it will be "microphone / realtek HD audio" or similar. If you don't see them open up the realtek HD audio manager and configure the jacks as needed (probably the source of your problem).

Lather, rinse and repeat for the rear panel. Also repeat using the various extension cables and the control box. I believe the microphone is removable which can also be used to troubleshoot directly into the mic jack and an extension cable. Testing on other PCs or laptops also very helpful to narrow down where your connection problems lie.

Since you wanted mic recommendations:

Zalman ZM-Mic1 ~$8 - I am using it with my DIY headset (Samson SR850) which works very well with a USB sound card (which may also be another quick solution for you, and you avoid the on-board audio issues altogether).

Samson Go mic ~$35 - A desktop USB microphone which is also very good for the price

Modmic 4 ~$50 - as mentioned this is also a very good solution.

Mics that use your microphone plug may also have the same problem as your cloud unless you troubleshoot, and usb mics should work as they will install a sound driver

Solution
Mar 17, 2018

I think I will just get the Samson Go. Because it seems like a reasonable choice for my needs. A pop filter or any sort of filter would be a nice addition to it. The HyperX headset was troubleshooted enough and I tested Creative Fatality headset, it has no issues. There might be a broken cable on the headset side, but since it's all covered with sleeve, I won't bother taking it apart.

that is a very good choice, and it has a cool feature that lets it sit on your monitor or laptop. It has been reported to break when abused so as long as you don't force it when collapsing should be all good - recommend setting it up once and just leave it be, all will be well!