Starting word 2000. a previously saved document starts instead of a ba

didoo

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
:hello: hello friends,
i have a serious problem!!!, i have a pc with windows xp home edition & word 2000.every time i start a new document or double click on word icon a document named as document1 starts instead of the blank page.
the same happens when i go to file >new>document, where instead of the blank doc. there is the same doccument1.i can't delete the file, can't delete the document's contents to start a new subject.
any suggestion please?
thanx in advance

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
If I understand what you are saying, that is normal behaviour for word.
It gives it that title so in case something happens while you are working on it and before you give it a name you wont lose you data.
Word does mini saves every so often to help keep data loss from occuring and in order for you to be able to find it there has to be a name associated with it.
Basically this is the new document that you want.
To give it a name that you want use the save command and give it whatever name you want.
Think of it as a draft document until you decide to give it a name.

If you like certain adjutments such as different default fonts, spacing, etc.
Make them while document 1 is the title and then hit file|exit.
Next time you start word with a blank document (document 1) it will have all of those changes already in place.
This is very helpful if you create the same types of documents often.

didoo

Distinguished
May 13, 2009

:hello: pat, thanx for the help,ok, that is great, i have already done what u said, the problem is that the old document was made by another person & i can not edit or delete the contents in it and make a new content & save with a new name.. it doesn't allow u to alter it, delete any line or to do select all to make blank for a new text.. iy is stucked as it was given a protection code or something!!!

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Ill see if I can find out more but in the mean time give this a try.
I think it may be linked somehow.
with word turned off goto start|search
In the left pane (Im doing this from memory, but should be close)
Click on the drive you want to look in (to be sure the entire drive is searched and not just a path)
Use advanced search and include subdirectories and hidden files and folders
In the search box type docum*.*
Do the search
You may see several files on the right but try to find document1
right click it and rename it ddocument1.
That is just in case we need to get it back.
Now try to open word and see if it doesnt give you a normal document1 (default)