Status Audio HD one vs Audio Technica M40x

malcolm mill

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
All right so i've been on the market for some nice sounding headphones recently since i had a listen to some music on one of my friends Beats headphones, i don't know what pair but he's pretty wealthy. Main thing is they sounded pretty nice compared to my $10 pair of shit. I've narrowed it down to these two listed in title that I thought where nice. Status is a new company i think but they don't spend money on ads and they cut out the middle man, so its only online , thats why they are a pretty good price. But i really dont know so i need some help and if you guys have an opinion on some other pais of headphones around ~$100 price range let me know.

Solution
As always, the answer depends on what you listen to and how you like to listen to it.

I personally prefer Baroque music. Accuracy and clarity are what I demand from headphones, and I will usually go with a monitor-type. The AKG K701 ($300! Holy stuff!) and the AudioTechnica ATH-AD700 ($120) have thrilled me for years. These are open-back types that do not emphasize bass at all; if you listen to MP3s of hip-hop, or to heavy orchestral music, they will disappoint you.

Without listening to either, I'd recommend the ATs. Very solid headphone makers.

Or you could do what I do - buy both, listen to them on alternate days for three weeks, and return one.
As always, the answer depends on what you listen to and how you like to listen to it.

I personally prefer Baroque music. Accuracy and clarity are what I demand from headphones, and I will usually go with a monitor-type. The AKG K701 ($300! Holy stuff!) and the AudioTechnica ATH-AD700 ($120) have thrilled me for years. These are open-back types that do not emphasize bass at all; if you listen to MP3s of hip-hop, or to heavy orchestral music, they will disappoint you.

Without listening to either, I'd recommend the ATs. Very solid headphone makers.

Or you could do what I do - buy both, listen to them on alternate days for three weeks, and return one.

Solution

freedomfred

Estimable
Mar 2, 2015
Well it really depends on what your needs are.

m40x's come from a pretty legendary lineage. you obviously can't go wrong. but I would say these are more suited for home and professional use.

Status Audio are my go-to everyday headphone. They knock. Full-range and accurate, and an overall fun set of headphones (read: a bit of a "V" shape sound signature that hypes the bass and highs).

Status gets the win for looks too...m40's are a bit clinical looking to me. Status is rubberized matte finish with no logos or markings (they really mean it -- there's not a single bit of text on the whole headphone).

Plus they are half the price

Considering these are both relatively inexpensive, I would say get both. If pressed, I go with Status.

denniskee

Estimable
Apr 20, 2015
I have both HD1 & M40x.

Comfort goes to M40x.

Build quality goes to M40x.

Sound goes to M40x.

Sealing goes to M40x.

Easy of use goes to M40x for the fact the cups can rotate, so much more comfortable when u need to hang it round ur neck.

But the cable is an issue with M40x, not because it doesn't have remote like HD1, but its heavy & too long using on the go.

Just got confirmation from Status, the HD1 ear padding can't be remove, ie padding spoil, headphone throw.

Verdict : save abit more n go for M40x.

TRENDING THREADS