Steam connectivity problem since Windows 10

_creature

Estimable
May 28, 2015
Hi,

I hope this is the right place to post this.
I've been having this issue with connectivity related to Steam, I think it started happening about 20 days ago after upgrading to Windows 10.

So basically I think something is blocking the connection to servers. For example on games with server browsers like Arma 3 or Insurgency, only a couple of servers will show up with a maximum of like 25 if I wait long enough, where before thousands of servers would immediately flood in.
And in the case of Insurgency I can't even join any server, a steam window pops up saying 'Server is not responding'.
However apart from Insurgency (and maybe all Source games for all I know) I can still join and host games without problems.
The upgrade to Win 10 removed my anti virus so I re downloaded Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2015. No idea if it even has anything to do with this.

I've tried adding exceptions in windows firewall and Kasperky but that didn't do anything, so I tried disabling windows firewall, windows defender, Kaspersky and even putting PC in router DMZ but still nothing. I have no idea why this started happening, my setup is exactly the same, the upgrade might have triggered something, I couldn't find anyone else with this problem.

Also a while back I stopped being able to broadcast in Steam, the stream would just not load for anyone anymore, might be related to this or might not.

_creature

Estimable
May 28, 2015
Well I actually fixed it. In my desperation I started uninstalling things, and it turns out it was my traitorous scum of an anti virus that was doing this all along. I don't know why turning it off had no effect and only completely removing it worked.
I've been using Kaspersky for years and never had a problem until now. After the transition to Windows 10 my old version was removed so I had to redownload the latest version and for some reason it's behaving differently, wish I knew exactly what's going on with it.
Anyway, mission accomplished.

CyberMew

Estimable
Nov 14, 2015

you saved my life! I had the exact same issue, holy cow, didn't expect my KIS to act like this despite me exiting the program.. im going to try it now, this thing is making me not able to join games immediately, insurgency whenever i joined a party the window will poup and i can't connect immediately, i had to go to console and type connect ip:port in order for it to work. and worse for project zomboid - even my own server on my local network is not responding, and no way for me to force connect.

Update: uninstalling a expired copy of KIS fixed it :)