SteamVR games keep going unresponsive

ZeroGravity525

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016
I just got an HTC Vive recently and when ever i try to play a game on SteamVR, the game will randomly (between 5-10 mins) go unresponsive and i have to quit them. I've seen other threads on this but none of the solutions have worked.

My specs are
I5-4590
Arctic liquid freezer 120
msi gtx 1070 gaming X
8GB of RAM

The only thing i could thing of it being is my Hard Drive not being fast enough (because mine is slow) but it doesn't show the games using that much % of disk.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

ZeroGravity525

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016

I've made sure that nothing over heating and I just bought a liquid cooler for that reason. My GPU stays under 70°C and my CPU stays lower. I have not tried reinstalling steamVR because I didn't know how but I will try that

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
If it isn't overheating, then the troubleshooting gets tricky. (mostly because you don't have an error message.)

first off..
Define: unresponsive.
- No audio?
- No graphics?
- No keyboard input?
(like, you can't perform windows shortcuts.. Alt+tab, cntl+alt+del, etc)

----

After those questions, I would..
1) Ensure your graphics card drivers are updated.

After all that is done,
1) run some kind of 2d graphics stress test.
2) Run the Steam VR system test.
3) Run a VR performance benchmark test. (if avail.)
Else, run TiltBrush, or some major well tested game and let it run with the headset just sitting in place for 30 min.

If problems still persist, then let us know the exact symptoms and the additional info.

ZeroGravity525

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016

By unresponsive I mean it goes to the "Now Playing" screen where it just shows what ever game I'm playing being loaded. Except it never comes out of that screen unless I quit the game.

Graphic drivers have been updated already.

http://

I just found that but it seems like there is no solution?

EDIT: just tried using SteamVR beta and took longer to display the waiting for screen but this was in the logs

Tue May 16 2017 16:54:34.791 - Unknown message type Unknown VRMsgType (1049608) (658112512 byte payload) from TheLab (6948). Disconnecting.