Step up from M40x

TechSpecGuy

Estimable
Aug 15, 2015
I have the audio technica M40x and was wondering if there was anything that's a logical step up from it around $200 CDN the HD 558 looks good but I wanted to know if there are any other cans that are good for that price

Solution
Open back vs closed back isn't generally a huge thing, depends on the quality of the headphones really, although in some design cases open air can provide a much nicer sound stage.
The M40Xs are still great headphones though, I see no reason to upgrade atm, save up a bit more. :)

TechSpecGuy

Estimable
Aug 15, 2015
MERGED QUESTION
Question from TechSpecGuy : "Best Open-Air Headphones Under $200 CDN"

Basically, what the title says, I have ~$200 CDN dollars and want to know what the best Open-Air headphone is at that price range. I'm upgrading from the M40x's and want to make sure I'm getting the best value, I'm too ignorant to know what the best headphones are, I've been eyeing the HD 558's but I'm not sure if there's anything better at that price range

TechSpecGuy

Estimable
Aug 15, 2015

do you think open-air style headphones would be better than the M40x? I want headphones that are good for gaming and listening to music, that's why I was thinking about the HD 558's

Chugalug_

Estimable
Open back vs closed back isn't generally a huge thing, depends on the quality of the headphones really, although in some design cases open air can provide a much nicer sound stage.
The M40Xs are still great headphones though, I see no reason to upgrade atm, save up a bit more. :)

Solution

TechSpecGuy

Estimable
Aug 15, 2015

let's say I sold my M40x's and had ~300-320 CDN to play around with, what do you think would be the best option within that price range? open vs closed isn't a huge deal but I would like to try open because everybody says it sounds better.

TechSpecGuy

Estimable
Aug 15, 2015

do you have any other recommendations besides the K701? it's $300 on Amazon which would leave almost nothing for an amp, I guess I should just save more?

TechSpecGuy

Estimable
Aug 15, 2015

I think I'm gonna go with your initial thought and not upgrade, I think the M40x's are pretty good so I don't really need to, thanks for all your help :D