Stephen Hawking: Hey Stupid, Let's Go Into Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
[citation][nom]haunted one[/nom]All CEOs should be banned from leaving the planet.[/citation]
I say, all CEOs should be kicked off the planet! :D

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
When Hawking says, "God may exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for a Creator", he is actually quite consistent with Christian theology. If God created the universe and with it all physical laws and science to go with it, it would be a rather imperfect creation if it couldn't explain its own existence. It is also a common understanding among religious thinkers that God intended for his existence to be unprovable by science (otherwise it would eliminate the need for faith). If the universe could not be explained without the invoking the existence of a divine being, then this could serve as a sort of proof of God's existence.

On a further note, I'd like to point out that so many people like to pit science against religion, when in fact a person of faith realizes that science is just another part of creation and is serving the purpose for which it was intended.

johnny_5

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Sounds like the colonization plan at the end of Ender's Game: spread out the human race so we can't be wiped out. Ender's Game is a great read by the way, my favourite book.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]When Hawking says, "God may exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for a Creator", he is actually quite consistent with Christian theology. If God created the universe and with it all physical laws and science to go with it, it would be a rather imperfect creation if it couldn't explain its own existence. It is also a common understanding among religious thinkers that God intended for his existence to be unprovable by science (otherwise it would eliminate the need for faith). If the universe could not be explained without the invoking the existence of a divine being, then this could serve as a sort of proof of God's existence.On a further note, I'd like to point out that so many people like to pit science against religion, when in fact a person of faith realizes that science is just another part of creation and is serving the purpose for which it was intended.[/citation]

nicely said. I'm agnostic myself. I do not believe in any of the holy books, but accept the possibility that the universe may have had a creator.
Its nice to see a religious person putting forward a well thought out view instead of the usual moronic garbage we see.
I have to agree, the very fact that the universe has a set of absolute laws does indeed allow for the possibility of a creator. But 'faith' is not something i would ever give to something i cannot try to prove. If any such created wants faith, it should not expect it given blindly.

anyway, im waiting on the new hawking book to be delivered. looking forward to it. hopefully it will help fill in some of the gaps.

johnny_5

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
It's pretty bold to say that the scientific account it complete. We do not, and never will know all there is to know about the universe. We know or will know about it to a satisfactory extent maybe, but not a complete extent. Still, the explanations given by science are good enough for me.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Hawking is definitely a genius, even if people do not agree with what he says. Finding new areas to live is definitely important... more money needs to be directed this way.

Bluescreendeath

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]When Hawking says, "God may exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for a Creator", he is actually quite consistent with Christian theology.[/citation]

It contradicts most Christian theologies actually, because Abrahamic scripture makes the Judeo-Christian God into a personal deity that meddles in the world with divine interventions. The God that Hawkins is talking about is a diety more akin to Deism or Pantheism.

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
[citation][nom]the_punkinator[/nom]Err, can anyone tell me what hes done to make this world a better place.[/citation]

Easy! He's changed people like you who ask "can anyone tell me" into people who are intelligent enough to go out and actually learn such things. This without having to really on what some shady character in the back of some shack preaching about some supernatural "endlessly caring" being whom if you don't listen will result in your eternal damnation in fire.

Bluescreendeath

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Follow up,

more akin to Deism or Pantheism, what I mean is a God that does not intervene in the world whatsoever - but merely uses the laws of nature to guide the universe. The Deistic God is known as the 'clockmaker' God, and the laws of nature (science) is the inner workings of the clock.

churlysheen

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
"God may exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for a Creator."

should be

"Any number (1 to infinity) of claimed gods may or may not exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for creators of any sort."

Even though through science we have been able to see what is physically real, there is still much yet to study, and learn in the universe (perhaps even multiverse?). For the things we don't know due to lack of scientific evidence, it may be easy for one to insert faith claims of gods, or whatever other imagined concept or idea, but it's extremely disingenuous to do so. There is about as much reason to believe any theology's god without scientific evidence, as there is to believe any infinite number of assertion of possible imagined fiction, even relative contradictory fiction, claimed fact without scientific evidence. If one's to be truly honest with what one knows beyond actual verified scientific evidence, it's best to leave it at "I don't know".

Lack of evidence of a thing is NOT evidence of its absence.
Lack of evidence of a claimed thing is ALSO NOT evidence of existence of that claimed thing.

TheCapulet

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]tleavit[/nom]Easy! He's changed people like you who ask "can anyone tell me" into people who are intelligent enough to go out and actually learn such things. This without having to really on what some shady character in the back of some shack preaching about some supernatural "endlessly caring" being whom if you don't listen will result in your eternal damnation in fire.[/citation]
Congratulations! You've just made the first religion bashing comment in a Steven Hawking thread! I'm surprised someone hadn't made a fool of themselves sooner.

churlysheen

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
small correction, because we know there are/have been plenty of living things on Earth creating things:

"Any number (1 to infinity) of claimed gods may or may not exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for asserted god creators of any sort."

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
This is quite true. If we aren't AT THE VERY LEAST colonized the moon by the end of the century (they believe we should be there in 2050 and 2100 on mars), then we are screwed.

Douglass Adams had a place for all of the telephone sanitizers, beauty theraptists, marketing execs, and CEO's ... it was called the "B Ark".

He also went on to add that the residents who stayed on the planet were shortly after wiped out by a rather nasty bug transmitted by all of the dirty public telephones ... so strike cleaners off the B Ark list ... we need them.

The aformentioned other three, along with possibly used care salesmen, hardware reviewers paid by Intel, and repo men, (grouped together rather nicely eh?) can all be shipped out in a purely solar orbit ... hopefully a very close one.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.