Stephen Hawking: Hey Stupid, Let's Go Into Space

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

georgec666

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
If we still followed Kennedy's space program we would have landed on Mars +-30 years ago. Now some might argue what is the use in that? I will argue what was the use of the dark ages? Religion of any sort must not hinder progress. Take for instance the current calendar. Why are we still using the Gregorian calendar, and not something more elegant/simplistic like the World Calendar?

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]God created science now? Convenient, LMFAO[/citation]

And remember, if masturbation is "bad" and he's KNOWS what you are doing, he's a double pervert since he'd have created masturbation too!

A super-being that can create the universe with hundreds of billions of galaxies (far more than people ON THIS PLANET!) - then what 2 or more people are doing in a bed room wouldn't be on his radar... if so, that would be a lot of constant "action" going on.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Aggressive marketing is what makes or breaks a product. It's a bunch of yesmen in a room screaming Jobs is a genius even though his iPhone is broken, in a very boiler-room/pyramid scheme-like atmosphere where people are bullied to feel the same way about a lousy product. I didn't think they'd go as far with Atheism, but if that's what people are paid to do, greed buys & people sell-out & even invited their friends to get cheated, just because it's them or you.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
How about we sort those religious differences first, and then go to space and spread our selves. Do you really want plantary wars because of somebody written something in a book, or PDF file?

Is it just me, or it's mostly the males fight when it comes to religous differences? Does it mean that God is really a female hot babe?

buzznut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]...On a further note, I'd like to point out that so many people like to pit science against religion, when in fact a person of faith realizes that science is just another part of creation and is serving the purpose for which it was intended.[/citation]

As a scientist, I have to agree with this. I am a biologist, and I have never thought creationism and evolution are mutually exclusive. People always look at me funny when I say that.

Truly I do not believe it is incongruous to believe in a creator, and that the creation is allowed to develop on its own. There are several ways to look at the Bible. I think of the Bible as an historical document with great meaning and purpose. It has been handed down for many centuries, and has been translated many different times. It may be the word of God, but it was written by man and humans are fallible.

I am no theologian, but it is apparent to me that the Bible is a collection of stories and allegory meant to impart to people why they should and should not do certain things. God could certainly say, "Thou shalt not kill." and leave it at that. But knowing what inquisitive little beings we are, there are dramatic stories that appeal to human sensibilities that explain why this is wrong.

Well, I am not trying to open a theological debate, I certainly don't know enough about the Bible to even start. I completely agree that science and religion do not need to be diametrically opposed. The fact that this does not occur to most people is what I find confusing.

georgec666

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
@liveonc, I don’t get what you are trying to say. It seems that you have some sort of grievance against Stephen Hawkins, maybe in his conduct, what he said? Maybe I’m just stupid, so can you clarify it like you would to a 10 year old?

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
[citation][nom]liveonc[/nom]A theory is a theory is a theory.I've got a book, that's evidence. What you're saying is that a Science Fiction novel is better evidence, just because Hollywood makes good movies, they make tonnes of money, & as long as you can be a Nation at War & get a Peace Prize, that it means you're right.But okay, you need funding for your Science Project, but just because you got funding doesn't mean that those who didn't are wrong, but that you're right. But please do understand, that my sympathies go to those who have a good heart, more than those with big pockets.[/citation]

Seriously? Go learn what the definition of a scientific theory is.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]TheCapulet[/nom]Congratulations! You've just made the first religion bashing comment in a Steven Hawking thread! I'm surprised someone hadn't made a fool of themselves sooner.[/citation]

You can't make a fool of yourself by bashing religion but you can make a fool of yourself by not bashing religion.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]buzznut[/nom]As a scientist, I have to agree with this. I am a biologist, and I have never thought creationism and evolution are mutually exclusive. People always look at me funny when I say that. Truly I do not believe it is incongruous to believe in a creator, and that the creation is allowed to develop on its own. There are several ways to look at the Bible. I think of the Bible as an historical document with great meaning and purpose. It has been handed down for many centuries, and has been translated many different times. It may be the word of God, but it was written by man and humans are fallible. I am no theologian, but it is apparent to me that the Bible is a collection of stories and allegory meant to impart to people why they should and should not do certain things. God could certainly say, "Thou shalt not kill." and leave it at that. But knowing what inquisitive little beings we are, there are dramatic stories that appeal to human sensibilities that explain why this is wrong. Well, I am not trying to open a theological debate, I certainly don't know enough about the Bible to even start. I completely agree that science and religion do not need to be diametrically opposed. The fact that this does not occur to most people is what I find confusing.[/citation]

you have just about echoed everything i ever bring up when involved in a religious debate.

i am not a religious person. i do not trust the words (or text) of man, and as someone who loves science i am accustomed to finding my own answers, not accepting those given to me.
I belive the universe may have had a creator, but nothing like what is written in any such book. but perhaps before time and space existed, the laws of physics where set down in such a way as to allow such a vast and complex universe to create itself. But naturally, any such creator would be totally beyond our understanding. but again, as scientists we can still TRY to understand to the best of our primitive abilities.

though i would be more inclined to believe the universe simply is. i would not discount the opposing idea. and i would not accept the word of hawking or any other scientist in the same way i would not accept the word of jesus or any other prophet. I prefer to look at the evidence, and come to my own conclusions. i guess that is what separates us (the free thinkers) from the indoctrinated religious (and sometimes scientific) types.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Seriously? Go learn what the definition of a scientific theory is.[/citation]

I don't need to have an apple fall on my head to teach me gravity. What I'd learn from getting an apple hit me on the head was that it's good that it wasn't a coconut tree that had decided that I needed an idea for a theory. So please spare me of your prejudiced & learn something about yourself.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]You can't make a fool of yourself by bashing religion but you can make a fool of yourself by not bashing religion.[/citation]

On the contrary, I don't bash religion or have a grievance against any particular religion. But, thats because I have enough since to realize that Religion serves a purpose as a moral compass. And if all the governments in the world were to fall, our religion would likely be the only thing to keep the world from complete chaos. As it would still be a thing that would bind communities together. I'm a baptist myself.

But, I also have a very scientific and inquisitive mind. And science helps to answer or find a way to answer that brings up those questions of why, or how does something work. And yeah I agree with Buzznut on that, I'm the same way though I'm more of an electronics, technology, or psychology person. And I too can understand what Hawking is getting at about Greed, and human selfishness. And a lot of that greed and selfishness has to do with a lack of religion and morals amongst people in general.

G

The Bible and Torah are the equivalent of modern-day tabloids set in ancient Palestine, they sure didn't put a lot of thought into whether the stories would stand up to closer examination without contradicting each other.

It's bad enough that people even believe they are true, much less that they are the "ultimate truth" to trump any other facts derived from logic and reason. 2000 years from now, we'll be worshiping Bigfoot, UFOs, and Lady Gaga's p3nis.

georgec666

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
@ buzznut. Incongruous . Another word for Harmony. Today I can say that I argued with a bunch of idiots, and that I learned a new word. Because arguing about whether or not god exist is as pointless as arguing about TopGear episodes. Everyone is right and everyone is wrong. It’s all bullshit. My problem with religion is of political nature, and what people do with their beliefs to infringe/impose on other people’s human rights and freedom, and to impede progress. No wonder people look funny at you when you say that.
@Mathos. “I don't bash religion or have a grievance against any particular religion.”
It is the sole purpose of Christianity to dispute any other god other than your own. It’s even one of ten commandments.
Try and read up on some of the material from Bertrand Russell and try to understand why you should not mix religion and science.

namecnassianer

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
For more about the Diaspora (the spread of the humans species)read Robert A. Heinlein's Future History series. Future History is a Wiki article.

G

So now that we know one tenth of one percent we can explain away "the need for a creator"??? God created, God cares and Jesus died for you. Can science explain why Jesus died for you?

G

"In many cultures it is customary to answer that God created the universe out of nothing. But this is mere temporizing. If we wish courageously to pursue the question, we must, of course ask next where God comes from? And if we decide this to be unanswerable, why not save a step and conclude that the universe has always existed?" [Carl Sagan, Cosmos, page 257]

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]I'd like to point out that so many people like to pit science against religion, when in fact a person of faith realizes that science is just another part of creation and is serving the purpose for which it was intended.[/citation]

To summerise Religion and Science aren't mutually exclusive. The like of Creation vs Evolution its the same evidence just different ways of interpreting it. Either way it takes faith to believe whole heartedly that either is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.