Stereo "loudspeakers" to pc?

GeneralChiken

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Just so you know I am a noobie with audio.
So I recently got a set of what would appear to be two 200 dollar speaker sets.
I think they are called loudspeakers. Each speaker set (box) appears to be comprised of an air intake slot, 1 regular speaker and 1 subwuffer. Each box has 1 red and 1 black input slot for wires.

(I know it's important so ill try and take the box apart later to see what speakers are in it)

I would like to connect these to my computer.

My budget is 100 - 150 maybe 200 dollars

What I would like to know

1. Is this pointless and should I just use them as stereo speakers

2. Should I just buy a stereo system and put the output from my computer to the input in the stereo

3. Should I buy amplifier (and give me links pls) and connect it through that and into the computer. And How

Pls be very specific because I have barely a clue what I'm doing.

P's. I live in Canada so keep in mind what websites you link me to

Solution

I'm sorry general, but without specs or model type, I can only give you general advice. If you want to use these speakers, I recommend you get a stereo receiver, if you can, but a surround sound receiver might work as well. On your limited budget you really ought to look for used receivers. Ebay and craigslist are great for this, and there are a lot of decent, used receivers floating around for cheap because so many people are...

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Option 3.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-8255B-TX-8255-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B001AMSPQI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1343683428&sr=8-9&keywords=stereo+amplifier

You then need a "Y" adapter cable. (1/8" Mini jack to RCA connectors)
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-Cable-Splitter-1-Mini/dp/B00004Z5CP/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343683483&sr=1-7&keywords=y+adapter

Finally, get some speaker wire.

Plug the little end of the Y adapter into the Headphone/speaker output on the back of your PC, and the red and white jacks plug into an input on the receiver. You can use any input on the receiver except phono, this is a different type of input. You can also plug different devices into the amplifier, such as an ipod, game console, cd player, whatever.

GeneralChiken

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Unfortunately that onkyo receiver cost about 250$ in Canada :s
Any other ideas ?

Also can't I just use L and R ports on my pc instead of the Y cable

Oh and it's bookshelf speakers not loud speakers

shadyj

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

Hi GeneralChiken, can you give me the exact make and model of the speakers? Also can you let me know if there are any specs on the back of the speakers, specifically impedance (like "4 ohm", "8 ohm")? Lets make sure these speakers are worth keeping before you decide to buy amplification. Also, if they are low resistance speakers (the impedance), than you might not want to buy a cheapo receiver for them.

GeneralChiken

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

I know this doesn't help much but not I got these from my uncles room mate and he thought they were were worth enough to put in one or those expensive wood/carpety boxes that's also why I noted ill have to take them out (unscrew everything) to see who made them cuz there is absolutely nothing on that box.

shadyj

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

I'm sorry general, but without specs or model type, I can only give you general advice. If you want to use these speakers, I recommend you get a stereo receiver, if you can, but a surround sound receiver might work as well. On your limited budget you really ought to look for used receivers. Ebay and craigslist are great for this, and there are a lot of decent, used receivers floating around for cheap because so many people are ditching them for stuff which have HDMI connectivity. If your computer has digital audio outputs, than you ought to look for compatible inputs on the receiver, either RCA or optical inputs. Analogue connections might work too, but could sound worse if you are using a motherboard with cheap audio jacks.

Solution

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sony-sony-200-watts-2-channel-stereo-receiver-strdh130-strdh130/10198850.aspx?path=28ef28da3c0dea33ab951997cedcb036en02

or

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sherwood-sherwood-200-watt-2-0-channel-stereo-receiver-rx-4105-rx-4105/10166877.aspx?path=0be81044b99e94f3d5eed9504863f182en02

You will be hard pressed to find quality receivers with HDMI, video switching, etc for under 200 bucks. IMO get yourself the best 2 channel system you can afford, sound quality will be better as well. You aren't paying for the extra stuff you're not using.

The computer will not drive the speakers directly.
There needs to be an amp in between the computer and the speakers.

GeneralChiken

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

No offense but if you had read my initial statement I think it was pretty clear that I knew that there needed to be an amp in there.

It's time to close the thread anyhow, thx for your help in going to take the speakers out of he box today to see if it's worth buying a receiver, otherwise I'll just buy a nice set of pc speakers or see what else here is available for the price

butterflylady

Estimable
Feb 19, 2015