Steve Jobs, What Happened To You?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm a long time Mac user and even I think that Steve should keep his mouth shut …

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Google is not really giving away anything. Once they dominate the market they'll show their true colors, like MS have. For now Android's weak spot is privacy and Jobs could have used it against Google.

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Has anyone else noticed that in the past few months that Jobs has not been hitting the target?[/citation]

Not hitting the target? Are you insane? look at those numbers. Apple is the largest tech company in the world, yes even bigger than the beloved Microsoft. When you include the iPad, Apple sells more computers in the US than any other company! Jobs didn't miss the target, he obliterated it! My prediction is that Apple will be the first Technology company with over 100 Billion is annual sales. Apple is the model of success that every other company is trying to emulate. You may hate them, but guess what, you don't become the largest tech company in the world selling crap! It just doesn't work like that. All the Apple nay sayers on the this site were wrong. Completely wrong!

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
[citation][nom]Glorian[/nom]The why do I have reception in the sticks and Verizon and Sprint phones do not. There are more phone just as capable if nor more so than the iphone on Verizon's network. People are just diluted into thinking that the iphone is the best and those waiting for it on other carriers are just dumb asses.[/citation]

Do you have anything to back that up? The iPhone will cost just as much as a the DROID X or and EVO. With the price being equal, people will go for the iPhone, I know I will. Now, I can see Android prices falling once the iPhone is on Verizon. I can see people choosing Android, not because it is better, because its cheaper. But that is Apple's strategy, forcing competitors into selling lesser products with lower margins.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
However, there are those who claim that the simple fact of Apple's closed, sorry, integrated, iOS will limit the company, in the end, to 5% market share in mobile computing again.

I sure wish history will repeat itself.

zubikov

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
The guy has a business model that works, and he's sticking to it. He basically said, this is what works for us, this is why we think it's better than the competition. That's all!

Why should Apple be forced to follow the same model as everyone else. That wouldn't make Apple, Apple.

Also, the clear winner in all these heated arguments is...us, the customers. A lot more choices, lower prices and quality products. Let's not take for granted how we're able to buy some amazing stuff at low prices. Wouldn't be like this if one company was running the whole show; just think about how much innovation truly happened in the first 6 versions of IE.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]TEAMSWITCHER[/nom]Not hitting the target? Are you insane? look at those numbers. Apple is the largest tech company in the world, yes even bigger than the beloved Microsoft. When you include the iPad, Apple sells more computers in the US than any other company! Jobs didn't miss the target, he obliterated it! My prediction is that Apple will be the first Technology company with over 100 Billion is annual sales. Apple is the model of success that every other company is trying to emulate. You may hate them, but guess what, you don't become the largest tech company in the world selling crap! It just doesn't work like that. All the Apple nay sayers on the this site were wrong. Completely wrong![/citation]

The problem that I have is that people spend money on a nice aluminum case with a light, and the system is outdated garbage within a few years. As long as it lasts five years and is cheap and I have a place to recycle it, I'd prefer to go with a free OS (Linux) and get something 4X as fast in a few years at the same cost of ONE Apple laptop.

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
If Apple products were not so absurdly over priced I would take Jobs seriously.

But just looking at the amount of money they made in this last quarter it is abundantly obvious that they are grossly over charging for their products. I do not care how wonderful something is if I know I am getting ripped off.

Plus the knowledge that they use Foxconn garbage seals the deal for me, any PC enthusiast knows that company has very low QC. So they sell crap for a premium.

No thanks I do not care how great OS X is, it is not worth the unrealistic amount they charge.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]boogalooelectric[/nom]Plus the knowledge that they use Foxconn garbage seals the deal for me, any PC enthusiast knows that company has very low QC. So they sell crap for a premium.No thanks I do not care how great OS X is, it is not worth the unrealistic amount they charge.[/citation]Apple, Sony, HP, Amazon, Nokia, Motorola, Nintendo, Microsoft, Dell and Cisco (and just about everyone else).
Many PC parts, MoBo's, GPU cards, etc., are OEM products made by Foxconn and supplied to big name PC component "manufacturers". You probably have something from Foxconn in your house if not in your computer.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
They were propagandizing Windows as "all the same", and macs as "cool", but now jobs rants about the Androids being "all different" meanwhile the iphones "all the same".

Hypocrite, liar.

He is planning to be Big Brother, and turn all the rest of humanity into iZombies.

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]The problem that I have is that people spend money on a nice aluminum case with a light, and the system is outdated garbage within a few years. As long as it lasts five years and is cheap and I have a place to recycle it, I'd prefer to go with a free OS (Linux) and get something 4X as fast in a few years at the same cost of ONE Apple laptop.[/citation]

You have no idea what you are talking about. There are four Apple notebook computers in my family and the oldest, a PowerBook G4 is still in use today - 7 YEARS LATER. We have three MacBook Pro's and absolutely love them, they are the very BEST notebooks. I can tell you with certainty that they are overpriced...a little, but crap...hell no.

I used to be a "died in the wool" PC fanboy, but PC's manufactures just gave up. They are selling the same plastic, sticker covered laptop computers they did 10 years ago. Apple is two generations ahead of them in design and construction. It's not all about the case. PC makers pay lip service to quality, Apple builds it into every product. Until other manufacturers care as much, Apple will keep winning mind/market share.

brianmoz

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
i was surprised to see all those positive things about apple on this site but then i realized you were just setting up to slam it on a 'deeper" level man

schm1tty

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Really like the article. It was a great read and I am curious as to how the technology market, in regards to Apple, will be in a years time.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]boogalooelectric[/nom]If Apple products were not so absurdly over priced I would take Jobs seriously.But just looking at the amount of money they made in this last quarter it is abundantly obvious that they are grossly over charging for their products. I do not care how wonderful something is if I know I am getting ripped off.Plus the knowledge that they use Foxconn garbage seals the deal for me, any PC enthusiast knows that company has very low QC. So they sell crap for a premium.No thanks I do not care how great OS X is, it is not worth the unrealistic amount they charge.[/citation]
I'm not going to defend Apple but look around. There's IBM, Dell, HP, Microsoft, Oracle, Intel (and the list goes on). Are they much different than Apple?

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Apple has a sound buisness model, but their single device is not for everyone. Free people like choice, if they really want to iPhone to dominate the market they need to offer thier consumers choice. If there were an iPhone with a blackberry style keyboard (droid pro / torch), a slider keyboard (droid), and a candybar version (kiddy iPhone?) they would dominate the market. All of these devices would be simple enough to manufacture, and if they all used the same hardware (+/- a keyboard and display) they would still be simple to maintain software on. This is where Apple missed the mobile boat and why everyone expects them to cap at 5% when all is said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS