Still cannot get rid of Reg Pro Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

anony111

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014
I have tried several methods of removing Reg Pro Cleaner v 3.0 but nothing has worked thus far. I have tried:

1. Uninstall via the Control Panel/Programs
2. Running CCleaner
3. Running AVG Free
4. Running Malwarebytes Anti-malware

The program still boots up on the user account that is NOT the admin. But nothing loads on the screen, just a blank window with "Reg Pro Cleaner" at the top. The admin account, does NOT load the program at startup.

The program still exists in "Programs and Features" of control panel, but when I click uninstall it says:

File "C:\Program FIles\RPC\Reg Pro Cleaner\uninst000.dat" does not exist. Cannot uninstall.

So It's been stuck on the computer. Please tell me what will actually work!

Solution
A complete wipe of the harddrive and then reinstalling everything will definitely take care of the problem and should always be on your list of possible necessities. Avoiding that is one of the reason we more experienced people are a bit over-zealous in making backups.

Try updating malwarebytes and then rebooting into safe mode and running it from there. That often picks up some things that keep trying to resintall the bad things.

popatim

Splendid
A complete wipe of the harddrive and then reinstalling everything will definitely take care of the problem and should always be on your list of possible necessities. Avoiding that is one of the reason we more experienced people are a bit over-zealous in making backups.

Try updating malwarebytes and then rebooting into safe mode and running it from there. That often picks up some things that keep trying to resintall the bad things.

Solution
Run CCleaner on the account where the program starts up.

Tools -> Startup

Find any entries associated with Reg Pro Cleaner. Delete them.

Tools -> Uninstall

Attempt to delete any instances of Reg Pro Cleaner. If you're sure the program is actually gone, just its installed programs database entry remains, you can delete it.

The other possibility is that it's start up via a registry entry. But I'd rather not get into messing with the registry unless you're sure that's the problem.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
IObit Uninstaller

I found this program not too long ago (a few months, maybe), and I don't think there is anything better. It also gives you the ability to "shred" files (ie: write over the file with blank data, instead of just deleting the filename, which is most common). If you can't run the uninstaller, because the program isn't entirely "on" your computer, then there are probably a few ways to get rid of the remains... but the best methods would be manually.

Jesiec1

Estimable
Dec 16, 2014
Hi- I was able to go to Task Manager and see the process running (RegProCleaner)
I right clicked on it and "Opened File Location" - then I was able to delete it
Rebooted and working fine now

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

That wouldn't get rid of the program, though. Just deleting the main files is about half the battle. it may stop the process from running, but there will be traces of it left on your computer. If I'm not mistaken, the program you're referencing is likely adware, which means it will likely be persistent to re-enable itself. Keep an eye out. You might have solved one problem, but possibly not the rest.

rhynnehaert

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015

I followed Jesiec1's route, keeping your advice in mind. Luckily, this computer is new and has very little "extra" installed on, so I was able to see what else had been installed along with RegPro, based on the time/date. In my case, everything <i>seemed</i> to be under "Bull Software" (something with Bull in it, but fitting nonetheless). I also looked at program files that were "modified" during that same date and time (again, luckily it was a strange hour and this is a new computer). Hopefully this gets rid of it.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

Honestly, deleting files/folders manually isn't enough; and it can actually cause more problems in the long term. If you remove things by hand, and you aren't properly thorough (going through the registry, as well as the rest of the file system with a vigilant eye), you could delete the software, but not the malware, and have an even harder time removing the malicious parts. It is always much better to do a full, proper removal of the software, and then go through to see if there is anything left over.

Regardless of how new the computer is, a half-decent programmer will be able to hide his malware in places most wouldn't look, or where it wouldn't look entirely suspicious. While you can go off time stamps, it's best just to let some like IOBit Uninstaller do the heavy work, and then clean up after it. You're much less likely to miss something doing it that way. Also, things can be installed at a later date, or even an earlier date, depending on when the computer was infected, as well as when it started showing obvious symptoms of infection.

Hopefully what you did worked... but I would never advise it by hand in the future; it just isn't a good idea.

G

Please download AdwCleaner.

Double-click the adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.

Click Scan.

When the scan is finished, click Clean.

When the cleaning process is over, click Report and a Notepad window will be opened.

Please post the contents here in your topic.

NitaHobbs

Estimable
Feb 13, 2015

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

Spybot S&D isn't the most reliable tool. MBAM is probably the best one I've come across, but even that isn't always enough. Depending on what residual is left over, someone may have to dig deep with a skilled eye, and clean up the remainder of what's left. Unfortunately, when you delete files/folders by hand, it can create more problems down the road. Might want to take it into the shop if you're still having problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.