Still missing sounds on 7.1

CCockrell

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015
So, I noticed while watching The Dark Night Rises, and The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies, that certain sounds are being left out. Both movies i was playing through Vudu at HDX quality (1080p and 7.1). I am getting great crisp sound from the surrounds and rear speakers, but some of the sounds that should be in front such as swords hitting together sound rather dull.

I noticed that I have no real issues as far as missing sounds from my bedroom 5.1 (Klipsch quintet, yamaha sub and receiver).

I feel like there is a crossover or eq setting that i am missing on how to set for my 7.1(bose 301 front, bose center, 201 surround, 161 rear) I wish there was a better way to know how to make sure these settings were the correct ones.

If anyone has any idea of why im missing sounds, sounds in which should either be in my fronts or center channel, please help. I dont really have anyone that knows a whole lot about x-overs or eq's that can help me come set everything

Also, i have never used one of those little mic's that comes with the receivers, would calibrating with that fix things? if so, does anyone have a link on how to use them?

Solution
First thing is that adjusting the crossover or EQ settings will not alter whether sounds are present or not. The crossover setting adjusts how high up the woofer plays and how low the satellites go. EQ setting will change the tone.
If you have not calibrated your system then it is critical that you do this. This will at least adjust the levels and timing so that all the speakers play at the right volume and are adjusted for the varying distance from you so sounds arrive correctly. Some receivers have other adjustment that are made with the mic. Check your manual.
Also your Bose speakers probably have less high frequencies than the Klipsch which can make some sounds seem crisper.
First thing is that adjusting the crossover or EQ settings will not alter whether sounds are present or not. The crossover setting adjusts how high up the woofer plays and how low the satellites go. EQ setting will change the tone.
If you have not calibrated your system then it is critical that you do this. This will at least adjust the levels and timing so that all the speakers play at the right volume and are adjusted for the varying distance from you so sounds arrive correctly. Some receivers have other adjustment that are made with the mic. Check your manual.
Also your Bose speakers probably have less high frequencies than the Klipsch which can make some sounds seem crisper.

Solution

CCockrell

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015

I have set the sounds as far as distance from where i sit, and the decibel levels.

I am gonna try out the klipsch center channel in the bose set, and see if anythign changes. it really seems like its all from the center channel to be honest. If that fixes it ill just have to switch out the bose center, as it isnt even on the market anymore, and i might see why it is gone if thats the issue

The center channel i have is the bose vcs-10, which i am reading is the definition of the problem. It seems that alot of people have had issues with this speaker

i have a set of klipsch quintet iv's and can concur that they are fairly bright and accurate for treble response (great little speakers for the price). i agree with AA that you'll want to test it out to see if its just a case of different speaker response.

CCockrell

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015

Ya i tried it out and there was definitely a difference from the bose vcs-10 and the quintet center channel. However, I wasn't 100 % on that all was fixed, and was still missing some of the sounds that I thought should be less dull, although they were improved in other areas. I messed with the equalizers for about an hour and a half and found that it was better after turning up some of the dbs on the different frequencies on the speakers.

I ended up finding my mic that came with the receiver and had it do all the work. It made a big difference and wish i had used it before putting all the work. I did a test with the klipsch and then with the bose, and it was different, so i know it was working to make the best out of both.

I will end up replacing the entire bose system, but after using the mic i think i can make it for a while with this system i have

TRENDING THREADS