Stored laptop will not start

eric32

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
I have an old Toshiba laptop which has been in store for 3 years without HDD, Whilst waiting for new HDD to arrive I left it plugged into the adapter with green power light and orange battery light showing. Battery light is not flashing it is full on.

Fitted new HDD. reconnected to adapter, switch on. The on light shows green and the CD shows a light on the tray. That is it nothing works, no fan, no attempt to start. Before I start to strip the laptop down is there any thing specific I should look for which could be caused by storage.

clarkjd

Distinguished

So, You left it plugged in and on charge for 3 years without a HDD?

The other thing I see is that you put in a new HDD. Those generally do NOT have an operating system pre-installed. I'd think that you would at least have to boot up from the Toshiba's recovery CD, in order to get anything.

eric32

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
No, I left it plugged in after taking it from storage until a new hard drive arrived, or for 48hrs.

Can't boot up, nothing is working, the CD tray door has a light on but it won't open, and there is no noise from the laptop, no fan working. Apart from all the indicator lights working it is dead.