Strange happening with laptop's ac adapter

vampm

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
Hi guys, here is a strange one:

I have the acer aspire 5612, and it seems it has a non official adapter.
The adapter is two part: First part is the main cable from power source to adapter, and the second is adapter itself (the adapter is connected to laptop via a non detachable cable). The main cable is detachable.
The problem is:

(the battery is always on the latop)
With laptop off, if I plug the adapter the charge battery led wont turn on, neither the laptop.
If I start the laptop from battery, and then plug the adapter, it charges normaly, even if I shut down the laptop.
With laptop off and charging, if I unplug the whole adapter (from laptop or power source) and plug it back, it wont charge.

With laptop off and charging, if I unplug the the cable from the adapter (not from the power source), and then plug it back, the battery will charge.
With laptop off and charging, if I unplug the the cable from the the power source (not from the adapter), and then plug it back, the battery will charge.

Hope you can understand what I am trying to say. Does anyone has any idea whats the cause of this? (adapters fault or laptop damage?)

vampm

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
Its not lite-on, but has the characteristics you said except the watt. It doesnt say, unless the big mark "V85" its the wattage.