Strange Power Issues

hokkysokky22

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
I'm using a Lenovo Y50. My laptop battery will only charge when the laptop is off, and will charge very slowly (takes four hours). In addition, when plugged in the laptop does not register that it is plugged in or charging.

I have removed the battery and power-cord and held the power button then reconnected the power-cord alone, but the laptop was unable to run from the power alone (in the past have run the laptop without battery but while plugged in). After letting the battery charge while off the laptop will run just fine other than not charging. I have also tried removing the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery from devices and that did not fix the issue. I have tried using another charger and that did not fix the issue.

I am Europe, but my understanding is that the AC adapter should compensate for any differences in inlet voltage.

Please let me know if you guys have any idea.

It sounds like that charger cord may actually be damaged. When they are (and you don't have to see the damage) they will not both charge the battery and power the device at the same time. Hence it only working to power when it is turned off.

That could also be the reason for the long charging time, but it is more likely that the battery is also going and will need replacing as well.

If the device is still under warranty, I would contact the manufacturer about it to see if they will repair or replace the parts before you spend anything on it. :)

hokkysokky22

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

I have tried two different chargers that work perfectly fine on other laptops so it is likely some internal issue. I am not under warranty any more so I'm apprehensive to send it to the manufacturer.

hokkysokky22

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

It worked in the past without the battery being installed at all as long as it was plugged in. It won't work that way anymore so it is unlikely a battery problem.

I see. I didn't note you mentioning it working with the battery out. If it worked that way before, that leaves the charger cord (as was mentioned earlier) or the charging port. Are you able to try your cord on a different device, or a different devices cord on yours?