Solved! Stream Atmos sound via network

Aug 25, 2018
Hi
New Set up is Benq W1070+W projector with wireless HD kit
Samsung HWK950 Atmos Soundbar
(Still boxed at present)

Old set up was with Yamaha ysp 900(no longer working)
With the same projector connected to Roku4 via plex app. I was streaming films to this set up wirelessly with 5.1 sound.

From reading on the internet Dolby Atmos is not supported on plex.
I think the new Roku ultra does or the Roku streaming stick+? But not sure if there is a suitable app for these.

I am looking to stream on my home network pc 1080p video ( until projector is upgraded) with Atmos soundtrack (mkv files)

What do I require to achieve this if it is achievable on a reasonable budget.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’m in the uk.

Kind regards
Chris

Solution
I don't think your network is an issue. If the Roku/Plex will pass Dolby TrueHD it should do the same with Atmos content.
The Roku does have to connect to the soundbar with HDMI to get lossless audio and Atmos. The HDMI out of the soundbar goes to the wireless HDMI transmitter that sends video to the projector.
I would not get too excited about Atmos since just having a couple of upward firing speakers in a soundbar is NOT going to create the same effect as having two or four ceiling speakers.
I don't think your network is an issue. If the Roku/Plex will pass Dolby TrueHD it should do the same with Atmos content.
The Roku does have to connect to the soundbar with HDMI to get lossless audio and Atmos. The HDMI out of the soundbar goes to the wireless HDMI transmitter that sends video to the projector.
I would not get too excited about Atmos since just having a couple of upward firing speakers in a soundbar is NOT going to create the same effect as having two or four ceiling speakers.

Solution