Stream internet to an OLD tv that only has a video composite output

sidonie

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
Hi,

I wondered if anyone could help.

I have an old tv, that's only got a composite video output. I wondered if there was anyway of plugging my laptop up to that tv to enable the tv screen to display exactly what the laptop is displaying? Link the two up basically? I tried a media player about a year ago that didn't work.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution
An old TV with only that input would look horrible to the point of not being usable when displaying a computer image. By the time you are done buying cables and converters you would have spend at much as a new TV would have cost. You can get a decent size 37-42" TV for about $200 used.
An old TV with only that input would look horrible to the point of not being usable when displaying a computer image. By the time you are done buying cables and converters you would have spend at much as a new TV would have cost. You can get a decent size 37-42" TV for about $200 used.

Solution
Jan 30, 2016
I was in a similar situation about 2 years ago. I was still in college at the time and rescued an old Sony Trinitron from the trash. I used this converter to hook up my laptop to its Composite input: http://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Composite-Converter-Adapter-Supporting/dp/B00KBQZC4M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1460793528&sr=8-3&keywords=hdmi+to+av+converter

It works great and I never had any issues with it. As hang-the-9 mentioned, text does look horrible but for movies it looks just like a DVD player would.