Question Streaming cable TV to computer via wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveg2

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
I am looking for a simple device to stream TV programs from my cable/sat box to a computer/mobile phone/tablet via wifi. This device would sit between my cable box and the TV. I am aware of things like Slingbox and Belkin @ TV but these are actually more complex than I need. I don't care about being able to change the channel, nor do I want to "place shift" and watch TV in a different location/country. I just want to watch on my local wifi network. Also the Belkin and Slingbox seem to be discontinued.

I don't think there is any hardware to accomplish what you want to do. You would essentially be broadcasting the cable programming over Wifi. Don't think you have the legal right to do that.
However most cable companies have apps to let you use your devices to access their programming over the internet directly if you are a subscriber.

steveg2

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017

Thanks for the reply. Not sure I see that there is any rights issue though. Say I am watching a given channel on TV1. I can place an HDMI spliter between TV1 and the sat/cable box and and show the same channel on TV2, TV3, etc. What I am trying to achieve is no different, except I want to do it without the HDMI cable and to a laptop or tablet so i can watch in rooms where I don't have a TV.

You can split HDMI out and many people do. It may not be according to the cable company rules though since they want you to rent boxes from them.
You should have no problem using the cable co app to watch any channel you want on any tablet, phone, or computer on your home network. It won't allow you to output it from there to another screen though.

Status
Not open for further replies.