Streaming movies from One Drive to my TV, roku or Xbox.. quality concern

Sean_90

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
So I have some dvds and bluray files on my computer so I copied the video files to my one drive.
Then via my samsung note 8 I use smart view app and cast the video file to my roku premiere+ or my Xbox one X or my samsung smart tv.

My question is does the video file lose quality this way? As in does the resolution diminish? What about the audio? Will it stream over in 5.1 if the original file was in 5.1?

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
i don't think the note is able to give 5.1 audio. pictur quality will degrade some but not a lot. i've streamed off the web while casting to my roku as well. i can see a difference but not much from original file.

you're better off putting the file on the phone and casting from there. VLC player will handle the files easily and a nice sized sd card is enough for a few big movie files. i have an older android phone i use for this purpose. i drop the files onto the phone and then cast to roku. works great and saves me a lot of headaches on how to get the files to the tv.

i don't notice any quality issues from the file source this way at all. i average 720p files but even a 1080p file looks great while casting it.

Sean_90

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
Really the note 8 cant do 5.1? I figured it could.

Hmm so what options do I have to keep the files native audio and video then?

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
i'd have to look into that actually to be 100% sure. i don't bother trying to preserve all that high quality stuff for myself so never really paid attention to it much.

would be real easy to copy a file to the phone and test it out though. takes only the time to copy the file over and then cast it. simple test for a simple answer :)

it should play the audio file no problem but if it actually outputs the surround sound is something i'm not sure about at this time.

Sean_90

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
Thats actually what I currently do basically. I go to one drive website and log in and then upload the video file. Then from my Note 8 i open the one drive app and then find the movie file. Play it. Then click the floating "smart view" icon which pops up my options to cast it to (4K samsung tv in living room, xbox one x, 4k roku or another 1080p samsung smart tv in my bedroom)

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
you'd have to do a side by side comparison really to note any differences in quality. considering your asking here, i'd assume you are not seeing any real difference. if it were obviously lower quality, you'd be asking how to fix that and not if it is there

sounds like everyone is enjoying it as is so i'd let it be and sit back and enjoy the ride!! :D

Sean_90

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
Not even sure why I care honestly. It's fricken Toy Story and Lion King etc for my 4 month old son. But I was just curious for the future for stuff I would like to watch of my own.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
lol, feel ya there. got the same collection of disney films as well. so much easier streaming them and not letting them mess up costly disks.

still have an old xbox that connects with win 7 media center. so i just store em on a spare pc and let the xbox 360 be the media server for the kids stuff. the phone to roku is for my stuff. love the portability of it all. just take my phone and roku stick with me and instant movies anywhere i am :)