Streaming sound from PC

webdivauk

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Good afternoon all

I've been wondering whether the following scenario is possible, and if so what the technology is called and some suggestions, hints or tips.

What I'd like to be able to do is play music from my iPOD and CD's that I have, and also stream music from iTunes and run sound for computer games like World of Warcraft through some sort of device with an option for available units or portable units for music in other rooms. I would love it were possible to do this wirelessly.

I apologise for my ignorance in this area. I've tried to read some information from google but I'm confused myself more than when I first started to investigate.

I haven't got speakers for my PC at the moment and I'm using a USB headset for sound. The soundcard in my PC is currently onboard. Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 and I'm currently running Windows XP. I will consider purchasing new PC components as I would prefer to get a better quality soundcard than the onboard one, and I'm also looking at what I need to have to record HDD World of Warcraft YT's (woot).

I'm looking forward to your suggestions and guidance.

webdivauk

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
I'm looking at a Sonos systems to achieve this with a Zoneplayer S5 to start the ball rolling with the intention of eventually getting a zoneplayer 120 to compliment it.

Am I right in thinking that in order for me to get my PC playing through the ZP S5 that I would need to connect my PC audio out to audio in on the ZP S5. This appears straight forward however what I don't know is the wires that would be required? I've done a bit of reading around and it doesn't appear to be a wireles solution available.

I'm toying with this idea however I might give in and purchase seperate speakers for my PC due to the location of the ZP S5 and my PC.

As always, thanks in advance.