DJRej123

Estimable
Sep 6, 2015
My friends and I play music, mostly jamming, we were looking to stream some of our jams, whether it be youtube, or facebook, or twitch, still haven't figured out what the best place is. We have at our disposal:

- Sony Handycam HDR-CX580 (though I can't seem to find that model, only HDR-CX580V, so I think they might be the same thing)
- H2n Zoom Handy Recorder

My PC Specs are
i5-2500k 3.30ghz
8gb of ram
GTX 770
My tower does have USB 3.0

I've been able to determine that I can hook the Zoom recorder into the camcorder with an aux cable and use it as an external mic. This camera does have an hdmi out, and from what I gather is can be used to output playback to a tv.

So what I'm trying to find out, is can I use that hdmi port on the camcorder capture video, as well as audio using the recorder as an external mic, and stream that all out? I've been reading about capture cards, but there's a lot of different options and it's hard to find my exact circumstances when it comes to this.

if anyone has some answers or advice, it would be much appreciated.

Solution
If your focus is audio the capture card will have zero to do with the quality of that. That will be your zoom processor and the camcorders DAC and its ability to convert analog audio to a digital signal that goes along the HDMI cable.

In reality of you are serious about this, an external mixer with several external mics will be needed. What and how much depends on what you are micing. Drums can eat 8 channels alone and need eqs compressors limiters etc etc to get a good sound.
Well by streaming do you mean live streaming, or record it, edit, touch up things, then put it online.

If the HDMI port only puts out to the TV when in playback mode, than you couldn't live stream it. If the HDMI port shows what the lens see's, then it could be used for live streaming.

Next, if the camera allows an external mic, you could plug into that with a mic, and get that sound out the HDMI output as well.

Either way you would need a capture card. If the cam can output 30fps at 1080p then you want a capture card that can at least do that.

DJRej123

Estimable
Sep 6, 2015
Wow that was quick! Haha. To clarify, I did mean to live stream. I just tested hooking the camera up to a tv, and it does display what the lens sees. I was opting to use the H2n recorder as an external mic because the quality is much higher then that of the built in mic for the camcorder.

The camera is actually capable of doing 60fps at 1080p, but seeing as we're going to be playing music, I'm not sure if that's even necessary. I'm just trying to figure out what's the best quality we could get for the least amount of money and effort.

If your focus is audio the capture card will have zero to do with the quality of that. That will be your zoom processor and the camcorders DAC and its ability to convert analog audio to a digital signal that goes along the HDMI cable.

In reality of you are serious about this, an external mixer with several external mics will be needed. What and how much depends on what you are micing. Drums can eat 8 channels alone and need eqs compressors limiters etc etc to get a good sound.

Solution