Streetlight Collects Sun Power to Light the Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

aje21

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I like the idea of solar powered lighting to aid night vision on country roads, but I see problems with this concept.
The mechanics to open and close the petals are a waste of time, money, energy, etc. and will probably break before anything else.
You don't want them to turn off completely if they don't detact anyone nearby because then you'd have no idea where the road went (and chances are, if driving faster than walking pace) the lights wouldn't turn on until you were already there!
Even with sensors to ensure they don't use full power unless there is someone nearby, how will they collect enough power to be of use during winter months?

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
This kind of thing always sounds cool, but at the end of the day it is little more than a novelty. Still, I wouldn't mind having a couple of these, smaller versions, in my front yard.

princeofdreams

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I think the reason the petals close is because on one side is the solar unit on the reverse side is what appears to be LED lighting, I am also unsure about the turn off and on scenario, not because I feel it will come on too late if driving (the range can be adjusted) but can you imagine these blinking on and off all night on your street while U are trying to sleep

But the concept is sound and we use a lot or energy providing light at night, this would be a big help with carbon emissions even if they don't feed back in to the central power grid

G

Incredible news. I've never heard of solar powered lighting! Kids these days, what will they think of next?

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]aje21[/nom]I like the idea of solar powered lighting to aid night vision on country roads, but I see problems with this concept.The mechanics to open and close the petals are a waste of time, money, energy, etc. and will probably break before anything else.You don't want them to turn off completely if they don't detact anyone nearby because then you'd have no idea where the road went (and chances are, if driving faster than walking pace) the lights wouldn't turn on until you were already there!Even with sensors to ensure they don't use full power unless there is someone nearby, how will they collect enough power to be of use during winter months?[/citation]
[citation][nom]mi1ez[/nom]I don't see why they need to close at night. Over-engineering and extra expense no city will want to pay for.[/citation]

1 it need to close to keeps everything working at it fullest at all time.. if the solar panel get constant hit from all kind of weather it will worn out in no time.. solar panel are really weak to nigh time humidity. so keeping water in the place were water is needed is a brilliant idea from Phillips.

2- IT use a smart power grid, what means that data travel to the power grid I'm more than sure that the motion detection signal will be sent to the upcoming light on the road if a motion is detected at the beginning of one track.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Sounds like a good idea that is difficult to put into practice. Wonder if they should just forget about furnishing electricity to a power grid and just power themselves.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Princeofdreams[/nom]this would be a big help with carbon emissions even if they don't feed back in to the central power grid[/citation]

Do you realize that carbon is the basis for all known life? Virtually every carbon-based compound is involved in a living process, which is why it is the very basis of ORGANIC chemistry. They whole notion of "carbon emissions" and carbon as a pollutant is pure sophistry. Just saying.

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
It will probably be stuck in limbo due to the simple fact that the amount of power it receives from the sun doesn't actually go very far into the night.
This is before we discuss electrical conversion rates, mechanical wear and tear, cleaning etc...

momomiester

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
So I look down a dark road and the light comes on after I get close. Then I shouldn't be really suprised if some mugger or thugs sneak up. All they have to do is stay still and wait for their victims. Brilliant! Another design by someone who doesn't live in the real world.

mgorner

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
a battery in each lamppost which will need replacing every 2 years hardly seems "green", not to say impractical. I you compute the end-to-end environment impact of this invention, I am not sure it would be better than traditional street lighting. I would need to see the impact numbers including the manufacturing and disposal of those batteries.

chunkymonster

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I have to chuckle every time I read/hear about "smart grid" products or implementing "smart grid" technology. As someone who has worked in the utility industry for 20 years, the cost to upgrade the electric delivery infrastructure is extremely cost prohibitive and would require a complete overhaul of the entire infrastructure as well as define new business models for utility companies to follow.

The bottom line is that gas and electric delivery companies are a business that answer to the stockholders and are concerned with maintaining good credit ratings so they can borrow capital to make delivery and support systems improvements. However, that capital money ultimately is subsidized and recouped by the delivery company from the rate payer. So, who really, in the end, will be paying for a "smart grid"? Not the local delivery company...

As a result of deregulation, gone are the days where the government or Public Utility Commissions could regulate the "how" and "why" local delivery companies spent their money on asset improvements. Advocates for deregulation were short sighted and did not care that the consumer would only be able to save money on the generation of electricity due to the need to maintain a rate paying base for the local delivery companies. And, even if a "smart grid" were to be implemented by local delivery companies, the said grid would be to the benefit and cost efficiency of the local delivery company, to maximize their assets and reduce their costs, with minimal savings past on to the rate payer.

Unless local delivery co-ops or community based generating stations become the mainstream the great vision of a national or state wide smart grid will remain a red herring.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
The idea is definitely sound, but requires the implementation of "smart" grids to be effective.

The biggest problem with any power conservation project.

Ryric

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
The mechanics of opening and closing seem like a bad idea. The On and Off seems like a bad idea (lighting deters crime and has other benefits and honestly this is an extra cost without much gain and would have implementation problems and problems which the sensor/mechicanics of doing it.

Basically the only interesting thing here is solar-powered lights! Which you can already get for your garden.

lordcrazex

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
[citation][nom]aje21[/nom]Oh, and why is this news if it's two years old with no development since?[/citation]

I'm guessing they are going to recycle back a lot more news from the old days.... this one is just the very first examples.... :(

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Solar lights have been around for years. Though not as advanced as these, this tech has been around a long time. The price on these would be outrageous, theres no need to pay so much for some pretty lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.