Stuck between which laptop to get

Eman2point0

Prominent
Jun 25, 2017
So my dad bought me a laptop for college from a pawn shop but honestly the processor is extremely terrible and it just ends up being too slow. I can't open more than a couple chrome tabs without it slowing down. So I've looked into Best Buy and which computers i can get at a discount that is still good for schoolwork and for some gaming during my free time.

Option 1:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavilion-x360-2-in-1-14-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-128gb-solid-state-drive-hp-sand-blast-matte-in-pale-gold-natural-silver/6240845.p?skuId=6240845

Option 2:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-2-in-1-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-vega-8-128gb-solid-state-drive-hp-finish-in-dark-ash/6237349.p?skuId=6237349

So I've looked up the processors and the Intel i5-8250u is better than the AMD Ryzen 5 2500u but supposedly the integrated graphics in the Ryzen is better than that of the Intel. Which one should I get? Again I want a workstation and a little bit of gaming. Games such as CSGO, Civ 6, and some simple RTS games that will help me pass the time.

Solution
I would not touch a laptop with only 128GB. With only one or 2 games downloaded, you won't have enough room for schoolwork.

Look at the Dell Outlet and the Lenovo Outlet for a good refurb deal. Get 256GB of SSD and at least 8GB of RAM and a good display (at least 1920x1080). Even with Intel graphics you will be able to play some games. I have played Civ 6 on Intel graphics and it is fine.

I would not pay extra for a 2-in-1. Nobody I know that has one uses it much. Remember that the first goal is to actually get through college.

awolfe63

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
I would not touch a laptop with only 128GB. With only one or 2 games downloaded, you won't have enough room for schoolwork.

Look at the Dell Outlet and the Lenovo Outlet for a good refurb deal. Get 256GB of SSD and at least 8GB of RAM and a good display (at least 1920x1080). Even with Intel graphics you will be able to play some games. I have played Civ 6 on Intel graphics and it is fine.

I would not pay extra for a 2-in-1. Nobody I know that has one uses it much. Remember that the first goal is to actually get through college.

Solution