Stuck on "Master Disk HDD S.M.A.R.T capability disabled" computer will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

4rest

Estimable
Nov 29, 2014
I video recorded my grandson's high school basketball game in full HD from my Samsung Galaxy S2 cellphone (and stored it on a standard 16GB SanDisk microSD card). I removed the micro SD from my cell phone, inserted it into the SD adapter sleeve (properly) and placed the SD adapter in the SD card slot of my desktop (E-Machines T1304, (AMD Sempron 3100+ 1.8 GHz, 1600 MHz FSB,100GB ATA hard drive, Windows XP)

After opening “My Computer” and clicking on the E: drive, the screen froze up and none of the keyboard keys responded so I had to restart the computer. The computer started but never got past the DOS screen which displayed the following information:

SB Storage Device: Generic USB SD Reader 1.00
IDE Channel O . Master Disk HDD S.M.A.R.T capability …. Disabled
CI device listing …
us No. Device No. Func No. Vendor/Device Class Device Class

Verifying DMI Pool Data ……………..
Boot from CD:
Disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt +Del

I was instructed to:
boot from HDD : Boot->Primary master and primary slave (it should be your HDD)->F10 (to save the settings)->reboot the system and check:

I pressed Ctrl+Alt +Del to restart ,tapped on the F2 key after restart, and found the
Bios Setup utility:

Phoenix Award BIOS CMOS Setup Utility
STANDARD CMOS Featrures

IDE Channel 0 Master [ST3100011A]
IDE Channel 0 Slave [NONE]
IDE Channel 1 Master [TSST CDW/DVD TS-H492]
IDE Channel 1 Slave [NONE]
IDE Channel 2 Master [NONE]
IDE Channel 2 Slave [NONE]
IDE Channel 3 Master [NONE]

IDE Channel 0 Master

IDE HDD Auto-Detection [Press Enter]

IDE Channel 0 Master [Auto]
Access Mode [Auto]

Capacity 100GB
Cylinder 47885
Head 16
Precomp 0
Landing Zone 47884
Sector 255

...from here I was lost

Solution
Try booting the PC with no extra peripherals installed. Nothing by keyboard, mouse and monitor. Also, while you're unplugging things, unplug the power and leave it out for 30 seconds. Once the power is out, hold the power button for 3-5 seconds to drain remaining juice in the system. Double check again to make sure there arent any extra thumb drives.

Once you are sure that nothing is plugged in except mouse, keyboard, monitor - go ahead and plug back in the power. Wait a few seconds then power it up. This should get you back up and hopefully get you into windows.

If this doesnt work, the next troubleshooting steps are to see if you can get into safemode. If that doesnt work, we will need to check boot order.

The reason why we unplug...

RaDiKaL_

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Try booting your pc with the SD adapter disconnected, once in windows connect it again and try to retrieve the data, if the problem happens again it could be that your SD adapter is faulty.

4rest

Estimable
Nov 29, 2014

4rest

Estimable
Nov 29, 2014
I removed the SD adapter but still cannot get into windows, the computer will not get past the DOS screen that says:

Verifying DMI Pool Data ……………..
Boot from CD:
Disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt +Del

pcmagic

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Try booting the PC with no extra peripherals installed. Nothing by keyboard, mouse and monitor. Also, while you're unplugging things, unplug the power and leave it out for 30 seconds. Once the power is out, hold the power button for 3-5 seconds to drain remaining juice in the system. Double check again to make sure there arent any extra thumb drives.

Once you are sure that nothing is plugged in except mouse, keyboard, monitor - go ahead and plug back in the power. Wait a few seconds then power it up. This should get you back up and hopefully get you into windows.

If this doesnt work, the next troubleshooting steps are to see if you can get into safemode. If that doesnt work, we will need to check boot order.

The reason why we unplug all unnecessary items is because they like to cause issues during POST and boot up. Just because they've worked for years doesnt mean this one time they decide to give us trouble. The original error message you brought up is definitely related to the SD card though. I have seen that multiple times, and when it does happen, it usually starts back up after removing it.

When replying, please try to give us as many details as possible. Because we are on a delay, it will be quicker to get your problem solved, bouncing the information back and fourth if we have fewer questions to get answered.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.