Students needs hardware? In terms of mobility and presentation.

xeNiumw0w

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Hi folks. I am a student, currently looking for hardware that will ease my needs when I am on the university.
The hardware I am looking for must have the capability of mobility and presentation. I will move around and do detailed presentation along with live presentation too, a lot.

I am thinking about buying Microsoft Surface Book and Samsung Galaxy Note 5.
Microsoft Surface Book for preparing detailed presentation and leisure purposes (I love playing games, tho I believe I will only play DotA 2 and maybe Battlefield 1) and Samsung Galaxy Note 5 for live presentation.

Are those hardware will suit my needs? or should I buy something else?

At the moment, I am in possession of Alienware M17x (1 hour battery charge, sucks and it's bulky), and a Samsung Galaxy S5 (Bent everywhere, looks real cheap)

Solution
rely on only one option for presentations is a guaranteed problem, more options is better

hdmi adapters, why do you assume that the adapter must be of a specific brand? the surface comes with a mini displayport, so you will need a mminidisplayport to displayport cable or a minidisplayport to hdmi adapter, perhaps a minidisplayport to vga

you must check the specs of what you are buying to be sure you can do what you want to do with what you buy

basically you are buying two tablets but you mention you need one in reality

for most case a lenovo ultrabook will cover you alot better, or well, at least is what i would buy, only carry one device

especially if you are going to play games, in the tablet, you will need a mouse, the small...
Since you've selected the Surface Book, I assume this means you also want to use the device in tablet mode? Be aware that most of the battery is in the keyboard. In tablet mode, it will typically last only about 3 hours.

If you don't need tablet mode, there are better choices for gaming laptops. Since you seem to prize battery life, avoid the quad core i7s. While a dual core will hurt performance in some games, it will get much better battery life (15 Watt dual-core processor vs 45 Watt quad-core processor).

Here's what to expect from DOTA2 and Battlefield 1 on the 940m and 965m (SB 2 i7 version). Expect the DDR5 in the SB to improve performance by about 15%-20% over the regular 940m.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphics-Cards.13849.0.html?type=&sort=&archive=1&perfrating=1&or=0&itemselect_6150=6150&itemselect_6927=6927&itemselect_6159=6159&gameselect%5B%5D=402&gameselect%5B%5D=225&gpu_fullname=1

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
the surface book will force you to buy adapters to connect most tvs or projectors, in most cases you will need a hdmi or a vga adapter to connect both

i would buy a normal laptop, with more ports that that tablet pc

the samsung will suffer the same situtation, you will need a adapter to connect hdmi, i don't think there is vga converter for those

xeNiumw0w

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

Both the tablet mode and battery life plays a huge factor on my choice. However I am sure I will not play games when I am not around the electric socket so quad or dual core will be fine for me as long as I am able to play the game smoothly.

Does the adaptor must be from Microsoft too? I will rely on HDMI heavily. This may change my mind to buy Microsoft Surface Book.

Samsung Galaxy Note 5, I believe I will not use cable to connect HDMI. I will use Screen Mirroring provided by Samsung instead.

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
rely on only one option for presentations is a guaranteed problem, more options is better

hdmi adapters, why do you assume that the adapter must be of a specific brand? the surface comes with a mini displayport, so you will need a mminidisplayport to displayport cable or a minidisplayport to hdmi adapter, perhaps a minidisplayport to vga

you must check the specs of what you are buying to be sure you can do what you want to do with what you buy

basically you are buying two tablets but you mention you need one in reality

for most case a lenovo ultrabook will cover you alot better, or well, at least is what i would buy, only carry one device

especially if you are going to play games, in the tablet, you will need a mouse, the small touchpad won't let you play well and that tablet only has a usb port so surelly you will end up buying a bluetooth mouse for that

sounds like too much adapters to me, too complicated and i haven't mentioned what you might need with the not you mention, samsung is friendly but the way you mention you will use it is, well, i wouldn't use it that way

both devices will cost you well over 1000 dollars and none will guaranteed work out of the box the way you need them on all circumstances, not without some adapters and portable batteries

Solution