Studio speakers vs computer speakers?

Yukinoinu

Estimable
Feb 25, 2014
Hey everyone, I have a question I hope someone can help me further with. I've been eyeing studio/reference monitors vs my current speakers. I know monitors are for like production and ect. I was wondering though, I am really into music, I don't make it I just like to listen. So I was wondering if these Mackie 3" (http://goo.gl/OJT9ID) monitors would be idea? I listen to music quite a lot, plus video editing sometimes, but also gaming. So I know the gaming is a little bit of a stretch, currently I run Cyber Acoustics (http://goo.gl/D5sQeJ) They are good, but not sure if I should upgrade? If anyone has anything to suggest my suit or if I should just get a sound card with my current and call it quits, or call it quits now. Thanks!

Solution
The mackie's are a much better, true sounding speaker.
But you will sacrifice the heave punch of the subwoofer( if your music taste prefers it).
It all depends on how you like your music to sound.
The Mackie system will have an almost flat response curve, meaning it will not color the music with super highs and super lows.
The Cyber set is very heavy on the highs, weak on the mids and super heavy on the lows.
Now that I have explained the pros and cons of both sets it is up to you to decide if you wan one setor the other.

My personal choice would be the Mackie set and maybe add a subwoofer for that little extra bottom end.

Unolocogringo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The mackie's are a much better, true sounding speaker.
But you will sacrifice the heave punch of the subwoofer( if your music taste prefers it).
It all depends on how you like your music to sound.
The Mackie system will have an almost flat response curve, meaning it will not color the music with super highs and super lows.
The Cyber set is very heavy on the highs, weak on the mids and super heavy on the lows.
Now that I have explained the pros and cons of both sets it is up to you to decide if you wan one setor the other.

My personal choice would be the Mackie set and maybe add a subwoofer for that little extra bottom end.

Solution

chris-L

Estimable
Nov 13, 2015
put your money into the better speakers. what you hear is the sound waves from the actual speaker not the electronics in the sound card
so getting better sounding speakers is a better investment than upgrading the electronics. i believe you'd be better off with recording studio monitors than computer speakers if you have a reasonable amp with which to drive the speakers. those mackies look more like a computer style speaker with built in amp. lotsa good bookshelf size speakers out there which will run off a modest size amp if you have one. if you really enjoy listening to the music start looking at some larger hi-fi bookshelf speakers which probably will give you more full range sound than those mackies.

also worth looking at passive speakers...

pioneer bs22, klipsch icon, micca mb42, dayton b652, similar. you can pair them up with a lepai2020+ on the cheap though the dta-100 or dta-120 are all around better amps.

if you want deep lows, you may want to consider a subwoofer. dayton has good low priced subwoofers like the sub800. not high output for sure but you will not find that without spending much more money. for a small room its fine and still much more output then a pc subwoofer.