Study: 20% of Android Apps Expose Private Info

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]Jay Nancarrow[/nom]Jane,I'm with the Google Communications team. This report does not signal any security issues in Android. It falsely suggests that Android users don’t have control over which apps access their data. Not only must each Android app gets users’ permission to access sensitive information, but developers must also go through billing background checks to confirm their real identities, and we will disable any apps that are found to be malicious.I would appreciate it if you would update your article. You will also probably be curious to note the changes that have been made to the CNET article you cite.Jay NancarrowGoogle Communications[/citation]
+1000

pwned...

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Jay great reply. While you are checking over your app security check the app "What the Doodle". In particular when someone sucessfully adds you as a "friend" within the application.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
It's really simple. Before you install a program, the OS will list everything that the program wants to have access to. READ IT. If you don't like what it has access to, DON'T INSTALL IT. Or you can even email the developer and ask him why the program needs access to this info. I've done that and almost every developer has responded within a day or two

G

And the Facebook S! application has the permissions to dial telephone numbers, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.