Study Blames Smartphone Battery-life on Programming Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
That study reminds me of one of Popular Science's magazines that printed stories of several "duh" studies, such as the "Most People Drive Poorly while Talking on the Phone" study.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]silver565[/nom]I don't think we needed a study to figure this out...[/citation]
I don't think we needed a study to figure a lot of stuff out. There have been so many "studies" that I've read about, which I consider its results to be common sense.

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I don't think we needed a study to figure a lot of stuff out. There have been so many "studies" that I've read about, which I consider its results to be common sense.[/citation]

Science is about truth and figures. Without a proper study, a fact remains as myth.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]CKKwan[/nom]Science is about truth and figures. Without a proper study, a fact remains as myth.[/citation]

That, and it always pays to know more about it as it might help in the future. You can never, EVER know everything when it comes to science.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
if you ask me,the whole modern smart phone world stinks!
They should have created faster smart phones with the battery life of the older phones.
Instead most are so inefficient that they have no battery life in operation, nor in standby.

True, we're usually 8 hours away max from a power socket, but technology should allow 7day smartphones to exist. THAT is the future, not having a 128 core 3GHZ phones in your pocket!

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]if you ask me,the whole modern smart phone world stinks!They should have created faster smart phones with the battery life of the older phones.Instead most are so inefficient that they have no battery life in operation, nor in standby.True, we're usually 8 hours away max from a power socket, but technology should allow 7day smartphones to exist. THAT is the future, not having a 128 core 3GHZ phones in your pocket![/citation]
Technology always has kinks and inefficiencies when emerging brand new.

Eventually it'll be that way once again, but it needs to evolve, that's why computers weren't using Terabyte hard drives in 1985 and the cell phone was bigger than your arm.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Duh!

This is sorta like my dad's hybrid car (2008 Altima) - occasionally, when you get off the freeway and stop at the light (and while you're breaking it shuts the engine off as expected), and the battery is fully charged, it starts the engine again. While it's idling. Uhh, why? Of course, start accelerating, and then it'll shut off the engine, use the motor to start accelerating (as it's supposed to do), and then start the engine again after you start accelerating hard enough. Definitely a firmware bug there...

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
smartphone maker should halt increasing processing power, and put the focus on power consumption first. not getting a full day battery life isnt good on load.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]kikireeki[/nom]Programming mistakes are inevitable, so the right answer is to improve battery life.[/citation]

Programming mistakes are inevitable. So the right answer is to correct them as they are detected, thus improving battery life.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]bluekoala[/nom]Programming mistakes are inevitable. So the right answer is to correct them as they are detected, thus improving battery life.[/citation]

And not have the mentality of "We'll fix it later.", like the game developers.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
the biggest problem is having smartphones with quadcore cpu's and tiny batteries

we need better battery tech in smartphones not faster cpu's

cpu's can become faster when the battery in our phones last 2-3 days with moderate to heavy usage

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Not at all surprising. Android in particular is flooded with apps built by hobbyists who are in no way professionals. The fact that they either don't understand or put no effort into these APIs is to be expected.

Any kid with enough time on his hands can learn to program in Java and write a crappy game for Android. Actually learning the Android SDK and best practices takes a lot more effort than most people are willing to put in.

Being a good programmer is about a lot more than just knowing the language.

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
As long as the OS use the dual core CPU effectively and efficiently, we don't need quad core CPU. This is strictly for smartphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.