Study: iPhone Users Are Delusional

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rle11

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
Now if only they would study religious and political fundamentalists. Ok, add right-wing conservatives. Its not just iPhone users that are delusional. And then there are the basic Apple sychophants...

rle11

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
Now if only they would study religious and political fundamentalists. Ok, add right-wing conservatives. Its not just iPhone users that are delusional. And then there are the basic Apple sychophants...

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]norbs[/nom]Seriously opinion is different then fact. To you that's what smart phone means... and multitasking IS a software feature not a hardware feature, apple chose to disable it in order for the focus app to have better performance. The phone is not for everyone... don't buy it, no one cares.[/citation]

We are both incorrect. Multitasking is a combination of both. The hardware should be able to support it effectively and the OS should have it enabled. Neither of which the iPhone does. You are proving my point. Apple gimped the phone for performance. It requires all of the hardwares resources to run one app efficiently. Do you not see the problem in this?

I have owned the iPhone, and yes I have enabled multitasking and compared other phones that are capable of multitasking the iPhone starts to show its true colors. The hardware just cannot handle it. That is why it is turned off. Doesn't sound like an advaced phone to me. Nor did it act like one.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]Straight up fanboi syndrome.Like twats who debate their console is superior to another.[/citation]

Yeah! I hate those idiots! Especially as the ps3 is superior in every way!!!1!1

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]datawrecker[/nom]We are both incorrect. Multitasking is a combination of both. The hardware should be able to support it effectively and the OS should have it enabled. Neither of which the iPhone does. You are proving my point. Apple gimped the phone for performance. It requires all of the hardwares resources to run one app efficiently. Do you not see the problem in this? I have owned the iPhone, and yes I have enabled multitasking and compared other phones that are capable of multitasking the iPhone starts to show its true colors. The hardware just cannot handle it. That is why it is turned off. Doesn't sound like an advaced phone to me. Nor did it act like one.[/citation]

Your a bit confused, you can multitask on almost any hardware... my 386sx 33mhz 4mb ram multitasked almost 20 years ago. I'm happy with a phone that can play mp3's, notify me of new mail and web browse and notify me of new aim messages at the same time. It has what winmo will never have, GOOD SOFTWARE and is intuitive. Once you jailbreak the phone you have even more multitasking capability. You can give me the argument about having to hack the phone to add a feature is too much, but most winmo users hack their OS all the time as it is.

It's not for you that's fine, stick with winmo or your palmpre, I and iPhone/droid users could care less, and the only reason I include droid is because it's another example of good software and intuitive interface.

Why do you even concern yourself with something you don't own, you act like you just bought something and your disappointed with it. In fact it's the exact opposite, your talking about something you've had no contact with.

DON'T LIKE IT?
ok...
DON'T BUY IT!

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Soldier37[/nom]I think the author of this story (Jane McEntegart) is delusional. I have none of those issues or complaints. The iphone isnt perfect but what phone is? Just another story bashing Apple., this isnt news, move along folks. I love my 3GS 32gb iphone, does everything I need it to on a daily basis period. Delusional my muscular tan arse![/citation]

wow... just wow...
not only do you bash the reporter even though all she is doing is reporting the Study (which does seem a little too got to be true for apple haters like me).

but you then go on to say that you have none of the problems that they are talking about!?!? so what? your iPhone has multi-tasking?? and MMS?

you just sound exactly like one of the people they are talking about with a comment like that.

fact of the matter is Apple has a very good knack for convincing their customers about what they do and don't need.

ryanegeiger

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Okay, tried to be PC about this (no pun intended), but here's the facts:

- iPhone users shove their phone in your face like pictures of their newborn child, I've never had a Blackberry or WinMo device shown off to me before unless I asked to see it, it's simply a different mentality.
- iPhone "exclusive" applications are for the most part pure fluff. They generally don't help with tasks involved with every day life, they make the extra things you occasionally might do a bit easier. (Who really orders "za" from "The Hut" every day, or even more than twice a month?)
- Most of the heavily "demonstrated" (shoved in your face) "app's" on the iPhone are annoying and completely useless. (If I have to be shown one more lightsaber or farting app, I'm going to break out my lightsaber, cut you in half, and then fart on you out of principle).
- Most of the genuinely useful applications are used by few people (things like Wordpress updaters, WebAdmin tools, etc.).
- The best "features" of the iPhone can only be accessed after hacking the phone's OS to pieces.
- iPhone users are a 'special' kind of delusional and Stockholm Syndrome is the perfect analogy to use in this instance, usually "fanboys" KNOW what the other guys do better, and just defend out of spite and justification; iPhone users genuinely believe that their phone can do everything there is to do and better than any other device they've never (or maybe have) held.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]wow... just wow...not only do you bash the reporter even though all she is doing is reporting the Study (which does seem a little too got to be true for apple haters like me).but you then go on to say that you have none of the problems that they are talking about!?!? so what? your iPhone has multi-tasking?? and MMS?you just sound exactly like one of the people they are talking about with a comment like that.fact of the matter is Apple has a very good knack for convincing their customers about what they do and don't need.[/citation]

Man that is some heft "reporting/studying"... hmm whats the date on this article?!

http://gizmodo.com/5424504/analyst-claims-iphone-users-are-suffering-from-stockholm-syndrome

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Clearly, this study was conceived and executed by children. It is not unlike trying to determine why someone is of a particular religious denomination, enjoys a particular flavor over another, drives a specific automobile, or wouldn't be caught dead porking your girlfriend even though they are logically inconsistent, nauseating, underpowered, and butt-ugly, respectively.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

SethEffect

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Pointless study is pointless...

The same can be said for pretty much anybody who has made a investment of time and money into a company/industry/sports team/car manufacturer etc.... Here is a summary of this study: Humans behave humanly.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]njkid3[/nom]i always knew they were delusional and now i have proof to back it up[/citation]
+1.
Anyways, Jane, thank you for this. I book marked this page so every time some Apple fanboi comes up with "Apple is Greatest" post I can post the link to this :D :D :D

G

"App store is a huge success that has revolutionised the services market

There is money to be made by developing applications for the iPhone

The iPhone is a technologically advanced mobile phone"

These are myths???

I'm an iPhone user and I'm not delusional about what my device can and can't do. Yes, there are many improvements to be made as nothing in this world is perfect.

I believe the majority of iPhone haters have not spent extensive time using the device. iPhone haters are just as bad, if not worse than the ifanboys.

BTW... My iphone can multitask just fine: Jailbroken. The device is perfectly capable of running multiple apps. The problem lies in battery life, as with every mobile phone. Yes the droid and Pre can multitask out of the box, but don't expect your battery life to last.

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
its funny people say it plays games and its so fast, that because it packs a 900MHz CPu if you cant make a fast phone with that there is something wrong ;0

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]obiown77[/nom]When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I got an iphone.[/citation]

you mean you are still as dumb as a 5 yr old. Thats why u got a failedPhone ?

get a life, jackass.

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
There seems to be a mistake in the title, should be:

"Study: Apple users are delusional"...

(Just messing with you Macboys...flame down)

In all honestly the study is partly right. Users of the IPhone do try to make up for it's shortcomings like it's their child or something. I have never heard a Palm or Windows phone user defend a device so vehemently. Yes the IPhone was a "revolutionary" device, but flawed it was/is.....

jawshoeaw

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Comments as usual more entertaining than article. Went to Apple store to play with first 2G iphone. It was really cool, no doubt about it. Amazing experience, until I tried loading google maps via browser. Uh oh. OK, app for that, fine. Wait, no flash support. Well, wasn't on my BBerry either. Then discovered virtual keyboard is not my friend. Cut and paste not there blah blah blah. Summary: cool but handicapped device. Fast forward to today, my friend just got 3GS. Wow! Really cool phone, I mean toy - google earth was awesome. Compass thing a nice add. Cut/Paste works. Virtual keyboard is still not my friend, only now it's worse. I mean, I play classical guitar and I struggle with iphone keyboard. Probably just me. Battery sucks though, out of the box, my friend has to charge it during the day, and that's a fresh battery! (She even gave me the "I'm close to a computer/charger" line!) I tried pandora app - very nice, sounded pretty good, even ported to my stereo. So I set up a sweet station (Decemberists) and switched to the web browser.... My music stopped playing. I tried again. I asked my friend what I was doing wrong. She said I could listen to iTunes..... No LOL that time. I handed her back the phone. WTF?

I'm still getting an iphone BTW. Guess why? Cuz I'm a lame fanboy? No, cuz when my other friend brings over his Droid, although it will multitask, and it's real keyboard IS my friend, it has no data or voice cuz it is stuck on Sprint's lame ass network.

Conclusion: Obviously need to break carrier stanglehold on hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS