Study: iPhone Users Are Delusional

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Was this article written 12 months or so ago? It's apparent the author simply doesn't have a clue...

I regularly use the Webex App at the same time as checking my e-mail or using my web browser.

Black$heep86

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
I have an iPhone i must admit i am enjoying it alot,but i am not one to try and justify the short coming of the device, lets all face it the battery life is shit, multitasking is an issue for me i wish i had it, MMS i can send them no problem, as for the camera i am not really concerned its not the best by far but it pictures aren't THAT bad. I had my opinions on the iPhone some of which had changed once i got my hands on it, i can say for me its one of the best phones i have used, its really easy to use lets face it thats what we want from our phones ease of use and simplicity, IMO thats why this device seems to be so popular :) I hate apple's PC's and OSX with a passion but for some reason i really like my iPhone.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I swer as much as i enjoy my Playstations ( my PS3 is dead for now so i enjoy more my 360 again and my PC much more ) this reminds me of the PS fanboys. not the actual gamers that have opinions of their own like I hope I do... The sick ones that have fanatism. Can you imagine the list from PS2 with the undying uber supposibly gpu ( emotion was it called? Cant remmeber sorry.. ) up to the FF7 for the PS3.. lol Inovation is their motive!

I think its the same way.. Some iPhone users like some PS3 owners are aware that what they own is just for a couple good uses other than the name and fame of it.. And some that they think it just goes with them. Doesnt make everyone delusional.

davo963320

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
If you need the features then the price you pay is poor reliability (windoze).

If you want reliability then the price you pay is lack of features (iphone).

If you want a long list of features AND reliability then start figuring out linux. Too hard you say? well tough @#$# you're obviously a simple user of technology and not a facilitator. It will cost you an unreasonable amount of energy/time in configuration but IMO it's the journey not the destination and a well configured jailbroken iphone completely dominates this scene. Android is nice but still limited when compared with a jailbroken iphone. I guess it's just like performance car modifications - some people were destined to only drive stock cars. At the end of the day the iphone has celebrity status - love it or hate it - you can't leave it alone and just get on with life like i wish most of you would.

G

YOU TAKE THAT BACK! HOW DARE YOU SPEAK ILL OF IPHONE USERS!
OUR PHONES DO EVERYTHING! E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G ! !
I.. oh wait, I didnt realise I been using a Nokia all this time...

davo963320

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
and now that i'm really having a rant - anyone who can't type on the iphone's touchpad is seriously lacking in fine motor control - It's not that hard guys! i can easily get at least 40 wpm on an iphone in landscape mode which is blazing along for email.

But seriously - I can't wait until the boundary between netbook and phone is blurred - I want to be able to easily install an OS of my own choosing onto my phone hardware. Anyone know of an x86 netbook that's small enough to pretend to be a phone and comes with an inbuilt quad band gsm module? *sigh*

davo963320

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
This is where i take offence, people that flash their phones may not be better human beings, may not be better [citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]MMS, good camera is not fancy stuff for me, it's actually stuff I do live without. I do care for my gaming, gps, browsing and music, and Iphone has all those in one device. Unlike you, I buy stuff that I like, not because millions like it or dislike it. The fact that you call my phone a shit, that's your problem, not mine. I use it the way I want it and I don't need anyone else to approve or disapprove. But that's something you guys don't get.The "article" here talked about Iphone users being delusional, because other people find Iphone's features crap and say that those who use them are practically idiots. Maybe those idiots don't need those "fancy" features, maybe we are not all alike and like different things and use stuff differently. It doesn't mean it's wrong or right. I do agree people flashing their phones are morons but frankly it's not just Iphone users who do so. This is true for pretty much everything we own, we like to show off, dress with flashy clothes, drive tuned powerful and loud cars because when we were little we were told we are special, but guess what, when we grew up we found out that we are not special, we are not the best and the brightest and so we end up showing off stuff like it says something about us. This is human nature and not Apple, not Microsoft, not anyone else is to blame for this but our own parents and our personal ego. End of story.[/citation]
I'm one of those guys you usher over to come have a look at something because you can't figure it out for yourself.

Call us morons but at the end of the day it's peasants like you that miss out. People don't even have the slightest clue about this amazing technology and yet it takes the centre and foremost position in their lives. I am not involved in the electronic industry because I want to show off!

davo963320

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I can repair circuit boards but i can't post comments on tomshardware. Obviously I'm a moron.

In short - yes we do like to show off - but then again, some men are more equal than others

ryanegeiger

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I would not buy a phone without a proper operating system and there are only two I consider to be taken seriously: Apple and Windows. I like what Apple offer better than what's one the Windows mobile devices.

This is exactly the (no offense) narrow vision that companies like Microsoft and Apple count on. The fact remains that most SmartPhones in the world run Symbian (read: Nokia), which if you don't "take seriously" would show a serious short-sightedness on anyone's part. RIM (a.k.a. Blackberry) is also much larger in the SmartPhone world than WinMo or Apple right now. In the phone world, saying you only pay attention to Windows and Apple is like saying "I think that the only viable car manufacturers are Chevrolet and Audi," while overlooking Honda and Toyota. If that works "For you" or "for anyone" to each their own, but don't fault the rest of us for wanting to have a little broader perspective on technology and life.

If it weren't for us, they wouldn't have known what they needed or could "leave out" of the iPhone to make it successful. So thank all of us "non-delusional" people for in effect designing the phone you hold so dear today.

... and don't hate us for laughing at you.

... also, it's almost been a week, I really should charge my Blackberry 9700 now, it's down to 30% battery life, or maybe I can actually turn off Wifi and 3G to squeeze another few days out of it.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
[citation][nom]socalboomer[/nom]I especially like the myths. . .I find, though, that nearly everyone with a cell phone uses similar phrases to justify their purchase. I have a Storm and although I love it, there are little things that I do make excuses for. . .[/citation]
Absolutely!

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
I guess every device that created such hype is getting similar back lash. Frankly it's a sort of self defense, since if you keep chasing that illusive "best phone ever" you will be unhappy for ever and spend a lot of money in the process. (Not that iPhones are cheap or anything)

The iPhone is far from perfect:
- screen is too small and yet the housing too big
- the speed is too low and battery power too low
- it doesn't have sub-woofers built in
- no coffee maker or dSLR quality camera

There is nothing wrong with demanding more as that drives progress, but somehow we're in this sense of entitlement that seems to make us unhappy with almost anything.

PS: What's this about "the iPhone cannot do MMS"? It's part of the 3.x update and I think was more a carrier enabled feature than a problem with the iPhone. Nice to have, but by no means essential as you can always send pictures via e-mail from the iPhone if you can't find the MMS.

rexoverbey

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Wow is this a 'study' or some jealous guy ranting?

1. The first iphone was 2G, but did have wifi. So you can use a mifi and still get 3G speeds. Even though other 3G services (EVDO) are in some cases not much faster than the 2.5 EDGE. Even though there are two incarnations of the iphone that are 3G (Fastest 3G too HSDPA).

2. The iphone can send MMS since 3.0. Which through Cydia was available all along. Also through the app store there were 3rd party apps.

3. You can foward an SMS. Plus this is a big delusional complaint?

4. The iphone has a poor camera? Really compared to what phones? It is a phone and actually the iphone gets pretty good reviews for it's camera speed and focusing. It does need a flash and a few more mexapixel would be great, but as other reviewers have said 3.2MP is fine for emai,and viewing pics on a phone. If you are looking to blow your pics up to print 8x10 you might look for a full feature camera w/ 15x optical zoom, image stabalization, face detection, real flash (not led), and 12 megapixel. IMO all phone cameras suck and probably always will be behind camera tech. WM users who think they have some awesome camera are the ones being delusional.

5. I had Windows Mobile 6.1 and don't remember a lot of multi-tasking going on. Are they not real smartphones? Plus I use backgrounder and I am able to multitask. On top of that AT&T has true multi-tasking with DATA + VOICE 3G service which allows you to really multi-task on the phone.

6. Again the same mutli-tasking argument going on. Plus what apps would be unusable? Where is the hard data to back that false claim up with?

Plus the myth section is hysterical. Everyone of those are almost true instead of myth.
http://www.mobilejaw.com/content/2009/10/MobileOSMarketShare_thumb.png
http://forums.thoughtsmedia.com/f384/iphone-gaining-blackberry-market-share-95768.html
http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-iphone-market-share-up-blackberry-down-2009-8
http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/08/13/iphone-market-share-grew-375-in-q2/
http://theappleblog.com/2009/11/12/iphone-increases-marketshare-again/

The one about the iphone not be technological advanced. Hahahahaha.

Fasted HSDPA radio, SGX GPU/VPU, 256MB RAM, Campacitive 3.5" wide screen w/ true multi-touch, GPS, Compass, Bluetooth 2.0, Core A8 processor running at 600mhz, 32GB of built in storage, Wifi, etc.

Why is this article even being taken serious?

G

Okay, The only people that believe half of those myths, or believe that the iPhone is some sort of Godly phone is absolutely delusional. I own an iPhone, and given the opportunity, I would switch to another OS, probably Android, and I would defiantly switch from AT&T! Not all iPhone users are delusional. Just ones that are in denial after spend too much money on a cell phone.

The camera on the iPhone is adequate at best, if the lighting is perfect!

Not being able to listen to Pandora or Slacker without being in the app, SUCKS!

In call Sound quality leaves much to be desired.

AT&T has terrible service, their network needs seriously overhauled.

These delusional iPhone users need to be given the HTC Droid Eris for a week and we will see whether the crappy service of AT&T along with the many shortcomings of the iPhone are worth it.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]norbs[/nom] Your a bit confused, you can multitask on almost any hardware... my 386sx 33mhz 4mb ram multitasked almost 20 years ago. I'm happy with a phone that can play mp3's, notify me of new mail and web browse and notify me of new aim messages at the same time. It has what winmo will never have, GOOD SOFTWARE and is intuitive. Once you jailbreak the phone you have even more multitasking capability. You can give me the argument about having to hack the phone to add a feature is too much, but most winmo users hack their OS all the time as it is.

It's not for you that's fine, stick with winmo or your palmpre, I and iPhone/droid users could care less, and the only reason I include droid is because it's another example of good software and intuitive interface.

Why do you even concern yourself with something you don't own, you act like you just bought something and your disappointed with it. In fact it's the exact opposite, your talking about something you've had no contact with.

DON'T LIKE IT?
ok...
DON'T BUY IT![/citation]

That is right 20 years ago there was multitasking. Again, it is a combination of hardware and software. Would you dare try and use 20 year old hardware and try to effectively multitask with newer software? No, because the hardware could not keep up. How well would XP run on the 386? I know it is a bit extreme but it does prove my point.
Why should you have to risk bricking your phone to get it to do what you want? Do what you want. I will not be the one having to replace it when it does go south.
I do not use a palmpre, nor do I use winmo. In fact, nowhere in the post that you responded to did I mention that I use either of those products. Where you got this information from I have no idea. I use droid as stated in an earlier post in this thread. I know it is good software and with an intuitive interface. You obviously do care, otherwise you would not have taken the time to post this.
Why concern myself? Because, I did purchase an iPhone, and was very disappointed with it. I even mentioned it in the post you replied to. I just want others who are looking for the truth to know what I have found to be true.
Are you so angry that someone could dare call out your beloved product that you refuse to even read the rest of the post? Here, I even mentioned it earlier.
[citation][nom]datawrecker[/nom]When actually looking at what the iPhone offers you see that it is nothing but mediocrity at its best. Jack of all trades - Master of none. Everyhing the iPhone does someone else has done it better. Touch screen, gaming, voice quality, multi-tasking, camera, and audio. Apple just managed to get something together that falls below the best of all these things and put it in one. And no, the app store does not count because it is not a function of the phone. It is a service for Apple products. Besides it is full of trash apps and dozens that do the same thing. There are a few gems hidden in it though.All in all, I was one of the lucky ones who wasn't suckered into spending hundreds of dollars on an app tied to one phone. I switched to the Droid, and while it does have a few problems, it is no where near as mediocre as the iPhone. I got the phone for business purposes. And for what I am using it for, the iPhone now seems more lackluster leaving me more unimpressed. There will be some things that I miss. But not enough to place it infront of functionality of what I need.[/citation]
I know that the droid has its faults and gladly admit them. I am stating that the droid does what I want it to do better than the iPhone could ever hope to do. You are what this article is about. A delusional fanboi cannot understand why someone would not want their product and refuses to accept and admit the failures of the product. You have to bread the EULA to get to do something that is done better elsewhere. I honestly do not see why more people would not switch to a competitor.

G

[citation][nom]jawshoeaw[/nom] No, cuz when my other friend brings over his Droid, although it will multitask, and it's real keyboard IS my friend, it has no data or voice cuz it is stuck on Sprint's lame ass network. [/citation]

its not on sprints network its on verizons get your facts straight

obiown77

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
[citation][nom]CChick[/nom]you mean you are still as dumb as a 5 yr old. Thats why u got a failedPhone ?get a life, jackass.[/citation]

lol.. such anger such hate. Y sooooooo Serious?

G

iPhone users can be really annoying. I should know, I used to be one.

But you still are quite annoying. I should know, I've read your other so-called articles. Please go and write for those shallow, POS rags where other stupid middle-agged bimbos with inferiority complexes babble on endlessly about pointless crap like how to paint there faces with chemicals to look younger. I only say so because that type of stuff would be a lot more suitable for your particular style of writing.

Skid

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I will defend my Motorola Droid (ok so its called the Milestone in the UK but to me its the droid) to the dead, the reason: it cost me £450 for the unlocked SIM free version.

Status
Not open for further replies.