Study: Wii Fit is Not Making Your Family More Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
So, the Wii Fit isn't making them fit? Sure it's not their lack of motivation or attention span?

Seems like it's their lack of motivation and attention span. It's also probably a lack of knowledge regarding fitness and a proper diet.

That's not to say the Wii Fit will make you look like Matthew McConaughey, however, even with daily use.

I could have told you that the Wii Fit isn't a great fitness tool and also that people have short attention spans. It would have taken me about ten seconds. Instead this guy spent six months researching this. :)

G

Why isn't increased aerobic fitness in children significant?

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Give something to someone that isn't interested in buying it themselves and expect them to be interested in it? I think the basic premise of this study is flawed.

Also, this study breaks many of the rules to scientific experiments, like having a control while you test. This study assumed the people kept the same lifestyle before and after the Wii. In an 11 month time span you change your lifestyle drastically just to accommodate weather, let alone holidays based around eating and fasting.

To be a true study of the life changes any exercise device can bring to a household, you need to find households that are incredibly similar and introduce the device to a group and leave at least 1 household without the device and under observation. You will actually have comparable results, unlike this study of assumptions.

choujij

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I lost a lot of weight playing DDR. That will always be the ultimate fitness/video-game combination! And it kinda has the reverse effect too, since in the beginning you suck at it and don't move around so much, but then as you get better you reach super-fast levels where you actually run the risk of bodily injury. I've seen many friends face-plant while doing MAX unlimited on double-pad. =D

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Well hello Captain Obvious! Wii games, a lot of them just take a flick of the wrist. There's no cardiovascular activity in that. Of course you won't get "Fit" playing the "Wii Fit" or other Wii games for that matter.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Did the study include better posture? A lot of the games tests your balance and posture affinity. These aspects are vital pillars to good health. If we have less people lounging forward with a weak left leg we'd have a lot less people slipping on ice.

G

8 families is a really small sample size. You need at least 30 to make it statistically valid, plus an equivalent control group.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Well hello Captain Obvious! Wii games, a lot of them just take a flick of the wrist. There's no cardiovascular activity in that. Of course you won't get "Fit" playing the "Wii Fit" or other Wii games for that matter.[/citation]
I'd like to see you do well in Wii Fit by just flicking your wrist.

nukem950

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
Sounds like people are using Wii Fit to warm up for a real game. Like the boxing ones. Dont want to pull a muscle playing those...

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
This study says nothing at all about Wii Fit.

The only possible conclusion is that people tend to use Wii Fit less over time, if allowed. If you don't mandate the use of the object being studied, then the study says nothing about the object.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Well hello Captain Obvious! Wii games, a lot of them just take a flick of the wrist. There's no cardiovascular activity in that. Of course you won't get "Fit" playing the "Wii Fit" or other Wii games for that matter.[/citation]

If all it took to get fit was just a flick of the wrist then 95% of the internet could be classified under "health and fitness".

Status
Not open for further replies.