Sub plays out of right satellite

hatersalad

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Hello, I figure this is the best place to ask this. I have 2 front speakers and a sub with 2 satellites for rear speakers. My problem is that I cant get the sub to play individually from the speakers. In the realtec manager if I test the sub the audio comes from the rear right. The sub has 2 inputs. So one I made Sub/Center and the other Rear. Any ideas? I would really appreciate some help.

Solution

The jack on the computer MB is stereo, you plug in a stereo (3 conductor) 3.5mm plug. the tip of the plug is + for SUB out. The ring of the plug is + for Right rear out. The sleeve if the plug is ground for both outputs.
A Y cable must split the three conductor plug into two mono signals. This is a stereo 3.5 mm plug to mono left right...

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
sounds like the subwoofer is grabbing the bass from whatever is connected to it.
meaning.. there is no dedicated subwoofer channel.
the sub takes its bass from the left and the right.. and then the satellites connected to it get midrange and treble.

you should be connecting the rear speaker connection to the subwoofer.
one for the left.
one for the right.

OR
use the subwoofer with the sub/center output and get a Y-adaptor so you can plug the single connection into both inputs on the subwoofer.

that will send the bass from the LFE channel to the sub.. but it will also send the bass from the center channel to the sub.

the only way to make the bass from the center channel go away is to use an electronic crossover.
sometimes there are programs that allow you to cut the bass frequency from the center channel like how a home theater receiver would.
sometimes there are programs that allow you to hunt down and use a plugin.. and then use the plugin to stop the bass from going to the center channel.

if you use the sub with the rear channels or the center/sub channel...
one of them is bound to be more stressful to the subwoofer amplifier.
but
you might not hear any difference.. but you should at least listen for more or less distortion.

if you use the sub with the rear speakers..
you should probably put the satellites up as usual.. and then put the subwoofer in the middle between the two satellites.

quadrophonic surround sound is much better than two front speakers and a center channel.

The jack on the computer MB is stereo, you plug in a stereo (3 conductor) 3.5mm plug. the tip of the plug is + for SUB out. The ring of the plug is + for Right rear out. The sleeve if the plug is ground for both outputs.
A Y cable must split the three conductor plug into two mono signals. This is a stereo 3.5 mm plug to mono left right adapter. There will be a stereo 3 conductor (3.5mm) plug on one side, and two mono plugs on the other side.
One mono signal is SUB, the other mono signal is Right Rear.
Now take the mono sub and split it again with a second, MONO Y cord. This goes to the right and left inputs of the sub-woofer.

The FIRST Y cord is stereo to dual MONO-Breaks the two channels into separate MONO connectors.
The SECOND Y cord is MONO to MONO- splits the MONO SUB signal into two subwoofer inputs.
I think you are mixing the two types of Y cords, and as a result blending the two discreet outputs together.

You may need to pick up the right type of cables, or have a tech solder them for you.

Solution

hatersalad

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
That solved it! Along with a few other things I had messed up. Like not setting the sub 10db higher with DTS and having the speakers set as full speakers. Sounds great now.