Sub woofer driver with 2 plus and minus terminals. HELP!

NolanTheGamer

Commendable
Nov 1, 2016
So my driver in my sub woofer decided to crap out on me during halloween, so I started looking for a new drive (here it is: https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-CXX8-Exxtreme-600-watt-Subwoofer/dp/B00I9TSXKI/ref=sr_1_13?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1478000068&sr=1-13&keywords=8+inch+woofer I don't have that much money... I am a teen.) anyways my old driver has two plus and minus terminal whereas the new one has only one plus and minus terminal.
vd9xBOk.jpg
vd9xBOk.jpg
[/img] it would be great if I could be told how to replace the driver with this extra terminals being in the way.

Solution
Hello. Your subwoofer is a dual-coil design. If you have bought a new single-coil woofer, then I suggest connecting only a single output to your speaker.

Connect only the Blue/Black pair to your new woofer. Disconnect the brown/green pair and tape it off separately. Then test out the subwoofer.
Your subwoofer amp will then drive only from a single output. Power may be reduced, but you cannot and should never connect the two positives together. Only another dual-coil woofer can be used if you want to use the second output.
Hello. Your subwoofer is a dual-coil design. If you have bought a new single-coil woofer, then I suggest connecting only a single output to your speaker.

Connect only the Blue/Black pair to your new woofer. Disconnect the brown/green pair and tape it off separately. Then test out the subwoofer.
Your subwoofer amp will then drive only from a single output. Power may be reduced, but you cannot and should never connect the two positives together. Only another dual-coil woofer can be used if you want to use the second output.

Solution

NolanTheGamer

Commendable
Nov 1, 2016

Lol, it did not pop (yet) but its busted XD

NolanTheGamer

Commendable
Nov 1, 2016

What would happen if I did, because its not a powered woofer, it is powered by a lp2020a+ because I want to get max power..

Before you buy a new driver, are you sure the speaker is the issue? Did you test the speaker itself?

You can do this using a analog voltmeter, or a battery (ex. 9V square battery), and connecting momentarily the speaker + and - to your battery terminals. If the speaker makes sound when connected tot he battery momentarily, then your AMP is the cause, not the speaker.

NolanTheGamer

Commendable
Nov 1, 2016

The speaker works its just makes a grinding noise, it does not do this with my other speakers.

I see. If it is making weird noises, then your issue is most probably the speaker itself.

Do you mean that it is powered by two wires directly from your LP2020A+? Could you do a resume of your complete setup, including the wiring.

Just to be sure, you do know that a LP2020A+ cannot drive such a subwoofer (boss audio) adequately without distortion? The LP2020A+ cannot output more than 20W per channel, which isn't a lot for a subwoofer. If you do actually drive your subwoofer with this amp, ANY subwoofer will work correctly if wired directly.

NolanTheGamer

Commendable
Nov 1, 2016

Yea sure, let me take some quick pics
5fdt1s8.jpg
9HhfmOn.jpg

Sorry for my room being a mess.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
Based on your original photo and the latest ones, your subwoofer is a dual cone, as previously suggested. It has a crossover, which divides the incoming signal into 2 frequency bands and routes the signals to the 2 different sets of terminals on the speaker.

Also, as suggested, you need quite a lot more wattage to drive any subwoofer properly, without distortion.

NolanTheGamer

Commendable
Nov 1, 2016

It started doing this 2 days ago, before that it was okay

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
Disconnect and reconnect the connections going from your amp to the sub. It may just be that there is some corrosion on some of the connections. Look at the wires to see if there is any greenish corrosion on them. If so, just cut of the ends and cut off some of the rubber insulation to get to clean copper and re-attach.

NolanTheGamer

Commendable
Nov 1, 2016

Tried that already :/

Do you have any spare speaker to test your amplifier with? Or another amp to test your speaker?

I actually doubt right now your amp could have blew the 150W JVC SXW35... There's a greater chance your issue is the LP2020A than the speaker itself. Just to say, it doesn't matter if all the rest of your system works, as your amp and subwoofer are independent from the rest.

NolanTheGamer

Commendable
Nov 1, 2016

I do have it powering other speakers, but I don't have distortion issues, btw this sub woofer has been sitting in a man cave for a couple years it was used before that, anyways I have did some pressing on the speaker and could hear an audible scratching noise. Also I bought the new driver on tuesday without thinking... Should I return it and get a dual voice coil one for 14 dollars more? [video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqmGUhRM-d4"][/video]

Okay, this is confirmed, your subwoofer is shot. xD The scratching noise is definitively because your voice coil is burned.

If you want to be as original as possible, or prevent yourself the hassle of rewiring the wires differently, return the woofer you ordered and buy a dual-voice coil one.

If you don't mind, then simply connect one of the two wire pairs (ex. black/blue) to the new subwoofer. It should sound just fine with one wire pair connected.

Bear in mind that higher in watts the replacement subwoofer has, the harder it is to drive. In other words, a 500W speaker will be louder than a 1000W speaker with the same amplifier and ohms, simply because the 1000W is stiffer.

NolanTheGamer

Commendable
Nov 1, 2016

My step dad gave me this sub XD so can't return it, anyways unhooking the sub woofer was no issue, so hopefully replacement should not be too hard

I meant the driver when I said returning the "woofer". The driver itself is called a "woofer". The rest is just a box. xD

If you're capable of unhooking it, you can hook it back. ^^ I just hope the driver you ordered fits physically.

NolanTheGamer

Commendable
Nov 1, 2016

It should, I measured before buying and if it does not that's nothing a man cave can't fix lol