Sub Woofer Unplugged Now Won't Work

lucidkey

Estimable
May 1, 2014
I have an old RCA Pro Series (Stav 3860) with some old speakers wired up to it, I have a thirfted Yahmaha Sub Woofer YST-SW015. After unplugging the sub and receiver to move it to another room I didn't remember which went where. On this particular receiver there is "sub woofer" jack and "sub woofer pre-out". It connects with a dual RCA plug (one red, one white)

Everything was working correctly, good bass, all around good sound before moving the system. Every since moving the system I haven't been able to get the sub to work correctly. Any help?

This isn't mine but same model.
Pictures

lucidkey

Estimable
May 1, 2014

lucidkey

Estimable
May 1, 2014
Looks like I can't do what was suggested because I don't have the remote. Its weird because you can faintly hear the sub, but its not as loud nor does it "hit" as hard as normal. Could it be because of the room? At first it was in a smaller square room with a wood floor, and now is a larger room with carpet, could acoustics be the issue?

Acoustics would not affect the sound from right in front of the sub to the extent that is was faint sounding. Is the bass level all the way up on the sub? You could try connecting the sub to anything else with an audio out (doesn't need to be a sub out) including an ipod with the right cable. Start with the sub level all the way down and bring it up slowly.
The other thing is that the sub amp may have died. Not unusual for this to happen. Sometimes there is an internal fuse. You would have to remote the plate amp from the sub and check for this.

lucidkey

Estimable
May 1, 2014

Turning the sub level up isn't the solution, I have it all the way on and you can tell its on, but it doesn't kick like it did. Sorry about all this, I have little knowledge about home audio, but if the sub has a rca cable (one white, one red) where should it be plugged in on the receiver, the jacks labled "subwoofer" and "sub woofer pre out"? Currently thats the way it is.

lucidkey

Estimable
May 1, 2014

On the sub there is a left/right option lableld L/Mono and R Which should go to pre out or sub, does it matter?

makkem

Distinguished
You should plug one of the RCA plugs into the L/Mono and the other end into the sub output of the receiver.
You only need a mono feed from a receiver as the receiver filters the sub feed from the stereo signal,the left and right on the sub woofer are for connecting to a stereo amplifier in which case the sub woofer filters the sub signal.

lucidkey

Estimable
May 1, 2014

The reciever has both a Subwoofer and Sub Pre-Out outputs. Which should I be using? I've tried both and only the Sub Pre-Out works, but the sound still isn't how it used to be. Maybe it's just me, I'm not sure what the issue is.

makkem

Distinguished
You need it connected to the sub pre out as the one marked just subwoofer is an input and will not work in your situation.
I think that you really need the remote so you can set up the system properly,It could be that the receiver has defaulted to the setting of large front speakers as this would cut the bass going to the sub woofer,or it could be the crossover frequency is set incorrectly.