Subwoofer has speaker wire terminals but receiver has coaxle?

Karlorgomez

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I have a new pioneer receiver and a built in 5.1 surround sound system. My sub connects via speaker wire terminals but the sub out on the receiver only has a single coaxial plug. I bought a coaxial wire at radio shack but it still doesn't produce any sound on the sub. Any ideas?

jacobboe89

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
replace your sub. the modern home theater system with 5.1 6.1 7.1 and all actually have a soundtrack (more or less)just for the subwoofer in addition to all the other channels . yes you could connect it to the main speaker outputs and have it work for stereo fine . but as for home theater it really isn't fully compatible .

ngoy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009

Your subwoofer has what are called speaker level inputs. It requires direct power from the amp to run. Most newer receivers (like the one you bought) have line level inputs, which are used to run self-powered subwoofers. The reason that your sub will not work is because the current from the coax output is far far too small to move your subwoofer, a separate amp would be needed (the amp takes the line level signal and amplifies it to run the speaker). If you need a cheap subwoofer, you can get a polk off of newegg for <$100.

I do not recommend you do what you did again (buying coax and then turning it into a speaker cable be stripping and twisting, hooking it up to the other wires). If done in the wrong direction, can cause serious damage to electronic components.

Would be helpful to know what sub you have, I am using an old 15" BSR passive sub that also has speaker level input in my 5.1 theater system. I connected up an old 350W PC power supply to a Boss R1100M amp that is connected to the LFE output of my Onkyo 5.1 65W/channel AVR using an RCA y-adapter, it sounds great. Since the sub is dual-voice coil, I was able to bridge it in series from 4-ohm to 8-ohm so that was a nice bonus.