Subwoofer to powered speakers

garyjw

Estimable
Jan 19, 2015
I can't figure out the best or proper way to wire a powered sub and powered speakers
without using a receiver.

I Have monster clarity one speakers(powered). I want to add in a powered subwoofer. The clarity ones only have various inputs - no outputs. The sub has speaker level in, speaker level out, rca in. What is the best way to hook them up? The signal is not coming from a receiver but an ipod, my laptop, etc. things with a 3.5mm jack out.
Should I split the signal? If so, should I use the line level rca plugs or the speaker level speaker wire plugs? If not, should I run the complete signal to the sub (rca? or speaker level?) and from the speaker level output on the sub to the powered speakers?

Solution
You can try spliting the signal but it'll decrease the sound level/output. What you need is a proper distribution system.

To split the signal, you need a 3.5 mm y spliter then you need two 3.5 mm to stereo RCA cable.

For distribution check the link below. However I'm not sure if i'll works without video signal.

http://www.amazon.com/Composite-Video-Distribution-Amplifier-Splitter/dp/B00I5H0OE2/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1422329204&sr=8-29&keywords=audio+distribution+amplifier

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Electronics-AV-700-Distribution/dp/B000BLEMIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422326396&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+distribution+amplifier...

garyjw

Estimable
Jan 19, 2015

I understand but I have to get the signal from the sub to the speakers as well. They are powered speakers so I am wondering if running the signal from the speaker level out of the sub to the speakers. Will it work properly? potentially damage the speakers? From everything that I've read it seems the best way to do it is to split the signal at the source and run a seperate signal to the speakers and the sub. If I can run one to the sub and then from the sub via speaker level out that would be easier - I just want it to sound right and not damage the speakers. Regarding the sub, would I be better off using the rca input or the speaker level input?

You can't use the speaker level input of the sub because you don't have a speaker level signal to feed it. You would need to split the output of your source to feed them both in parallel. I would use a 3.5mm to RCA adapter and then use RCA Y connectors and cables. If the sub has only 1 RCA input just use either channel to drive it..

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Solution