Sudden Performance Drop on laptop!

Welly177

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015
My PC is struggling. I have a Lenovo y50-70 touch laptop.

Specs:

Quad core, Intel i7 CPU @2.5-3.5 gighz

Nvidia GTX 860m 2gig

8 gigs DDR3 ram (single)

I was able to get really good framerates in most games. Now, I am noticing extremely lower framerates in all of my games, at the exact same settings. It just came out of nowhere!

My pc is making a lot of noise now, and my antivirus, and System processes are taking up more resources than ever. I've ran scans, and cleaned up disk space. However, nothing has changed. I've recently only installed two programs, and uninstalled one. I uninstalled Akami netsession client, and installed Rosetta Stone and 7zip, both authentic.

The pc was basically brand-new and had serious problems up to this point. I recently had a bluescreen, about 3 days before the drop in performance. I got a Kernal_error or something of the like. But it was fine after a restart. I'm also opted in for windows 10.

Any help would be a godsend!

Welly177

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015
The issue began about 2 days ago. There was a major update today, probably for the release of widows 10. Some tech support say it's a virus, but I've not downloaded anything suspicious, nor do I connect to any major networks. I have a simple home network with limited range.. So we can rule that out. Also, a CMD and windows defender scan shows nothing. Plus a trend Micro scan.

Bryan Neill

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015
Ok this might seem like a dumb question, but is your laptop plugged in and charging? If it isn't (check the task bar and mouse over the battery icon), the GPU may be in a power saving mode. If thats not the issue, check with Geforce Experience for a driver update. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else to do. Hope your issue gets resolved soon!

Welly177

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015
ummmm.... no.... Task manager is reporting unusually high activity from my antivirus and system. Not killing those. I'm uninstalling the antivirus right away, to see what the trouble is.

Mannerlax

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
Was just a suggestion, buddy. And I wasn't suggesting to shut off your system processes either. If your AV is running super high make sure it isn't doing scans or anything. If it isn't then I'd uninstall it.

Welly177

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015
Tech support put some command in the CMD, and it claimed I had over 50 viruses. So far, no program has even shown one. Was that legit, or could that have been a scan? They WERE trying to sell me 99 dollars worth of "protection". Freakin Lenovo!