Solved! Suddenly my sound sucks

Mar 20, 2018
This issue is driving me up the wall. Recently I got a pair of G933 Logitech surround sound headphones, to replace my other worn out G933 Logitech surround sound headphones. The sound was amazing on the original, and I was replacing them purely for aesthetic reasons. However, I found when I plugged in the new cord and USB, the sound was awful. I tried downloading the latest drivers, still awful. So I unplugged the new set and put my old headphones back in. Only now, the sound on them sucks too.

What on Earth is going on? This has been driving me up the wall. I would give anything to have my old sound back. As it is, it sounds like there's a layer of cotton between my ears and the headphones.

Solution
Take a close look at the audio configuration settings.

Especially so if you have reinstalled the drivers.

Right click the small speaker icon usually found in the lower right screen corner.

Select Playback devices and delve into all of the listed devices, windows, tabs, properties, etc..

Start with the G933's - probably your default setting but verify.

Explore first without changing anything. Look for settings that seem likely to effect the overall sound.

Some settings are far in and you must be thorough in your search. One likely setting is the venue - tends to make a difference for people sensitive to such things.

And there are other options available via the right click. Check everything and only change one thing at a...
Take a close look at the audio configuration settings.

Especially so if you have reinstalled the drivers.

Right click the small speaker icon usually found in the lower right screen corner.

Select Playback devices and delve into all of the listed devices, windows, tabs, properties, etc..

Start with the G933's - probably your default setting but verify.

Explore first without changing anything. Look for settings that seem likely to effect the overall sound.

Some settings are far in and you must be thorough in your search. One likely setting is the venue - tends to make a difference for people sensitive to such things.

And there are other options available via the right click. Check everything and only change one thing at a time. Just in case the sound gets even worse as you hear it and need to go back.

Solution
Mar 20, 2018

What's "the venue", how do I access that?

Venue meaning the location.

Some audio software has settings to simulate audio environments: outdoors, concert hall, disco, orchestra, etc..

Some venue choices can really end up being horrible to the ears.

It can take some work to find all the audio settings and figure out what they do.

What audio card are you using - what music player/application? Both will have configuration settings you can tinker with.

And look at your video card's control settings. It may also have some audio configurations or point you to existing windows and properties.

Afterthought: Windows 10? Try the built-in audio troubleshooters. They may find and fix something.

"WIN" ="I" > Update & Security > Troubleshoot

Mar 20, 2018

I think I'm using RealTek. I found something bizarre, which is that when I plugged my speakers back (they had been uninstalled for over a year, if not more), the sound improved marginally on the headphones. It's still not up to its original quality but...does that give any clues?

Nothing that I can specifically point to and say "aha".

However, there are some very good audio folks here that may be able to immediately identify the exact issue. Hopefully one or more will post accordingly.

Otherwise, now that another set of speakers has joined the mix, go back through the audio windows, tabs, and properties.

You may discover that some other configuration options are now available to work with. Or some existing setting may now have a different effect.

Apr 30, 2018
I have the same issue here’s the deal. I had the 930s and I had to actually install an older Logitech software in order to have an (enhancement) tab that can be found when you right click on you speaker icon, find your headphone and right click on them, select propertise, and there lies the beloved enhancement tab, you click that and make sure the lovely box is check labeled [loudness equilization] this fixed the 930s but the g933s forces us to use the newer software and freaking deletes the beloved enhancement tab... still trying to figure this out myself, running out of ideas.

Classic variation of planned obsolescence.

Take away a function, re-designate it as a "feature" and make you buy "it" if you wish to have that feature again.

At a higher cost of course.

Like advertising fancy candles as "including wicks" and charging more.