Supercharge Your Flash Drive with eSATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillLake

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
USB 3.0 is slated to support up to 4.8Gbps, eSATA supports up to 3.0Gbps now. SATA 6Gb/s is approved so that should also trickle down to eSATA. Since current USB suffers from a loss due to overhead of 25% the new 3.0 USB must be more effecient to compete with SATA 3 GB/s. It should also be noted that eSATA can support RAID and other HDD type features not available in USB devices. This could get interesting.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I doubt 3.0 will be able to compete. It still uses the host CPU for low level protocol processing, and thus, will never reach it's max bandwidth outside of the theoretical.

I doubt even USB 3.0 will be able to out preform even SATA 3 GB/s in real world testing.

BillLake

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Currently USB has a loss of about 25% due to overhead. If that loss continues then it would perform at 3.6 Gb/s. I think if eSATA flash and HDD if they can get powered eSATA ports in more than laptops, could really take off now and not wait until 2010 for USB 3.0.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Thanks for the article but why is it on Toms Guide and not Toms Hardware? Even your own charts use the Toms Hardware logo!

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
JeanLuc,
So sorry to confuse you! External USB (and, now, eSATA) thumb drives are definitely a Tom's Guide consumer electronics product. Apologies for the logo confusion.

Rachel Rosmarin
Editor of Tom's Guide

G

I have a Throttle and for unknown reasons it DOES not run at 90mb/s on an exresscard esata setup. Tried several machines. All I could get is 40mb/s. Maybe esata from the MB would be faster. Need to try it.

BillLake

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Hey bobo0, I could not get the Throttle or other to 90MB/sec even with the internal SATA connector on a motherboard. I could get 75-80 very consistently on my laptops and desktops so do not be discouraged. Try disabling any power management on your laptop as I experienced much slower performance when power management was set to give the most battery life.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Thomas Payne[/nom]Not sure how 6.2 was obtained on Windows Experience rating, since the scale goes from 1.0 to 5.9:http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/w [...] 61033.mspx[/citation]
if you had cared to read you're own link, you would have seen this:
As newer, faster hardware becomes available, Microsoft will increase the top end of the rating scale to allow scores of 6.0 and higher. That means the score you see today will have the same meaning at any point in your computer's lifetime. For example, even if the top end of the WEI range increases to 8.0, my computer's base score will remain at 2.2 if I don't make any hardware changes.

BillLake

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
6.2 was in Windows 7 and there is a screen shot of it shown. So obviously it does go higher now. Thanks for pointing that out.

BillLake

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Hey everyone, I wanted to let you know that Kanguru Solutions is working hard to resolve their issue and watch for them to rebound with a faster drive soon.

BillLake

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
For anyone interested, Kanguru system is releasing a new version of their flash drive. It will use a newer interface to speed up the read and write access of their drive. They are saying that the issue seen here was that they were first to market and had an older PCB that proved to be slower. Watch for this update.

BillLake

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Kanguru Solutions has updated their eSATA e-Flash drive as a direct result of our Tom’s Guide article.

As a direct result of our testing, Kanguru Solutions learned they were using an older version of the eSATA controller on the flash drive. This accounted for their slower performance during our test. They have corrected the issue and their performance is now equal to or greater than the other two drives. Testing using the eSATA interface showed random access went from 0.4 to 0.2 ms, average read went from 66.7 to a new high of 80.8 MB/sec, average write want from 48 to 52.6 MB/sec. This resolves all the issue with the eSATA e-Flash drive making it a top performer with the best package.

G

Here we are, in Feb. 2011, eSata flash drives are hard to find and still obscenely expensive. I really want one because all my Fujitsu and Toshiba laptops have a powered eSata port, and I can't wait for USB 3.0 to arrive. Too bad we still don't have many choices on eSata flash drives. Maybe very few people actually care about flash drive speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS