Supervisor password reset

RothALD

Estimable
Nov 1, 2014
I have cloned my os from my 1tb hard drive to a Samsung 225gb ssd.
1) How do I change/reset the "supervisor password" in the bios to allow me to change the boot source/order in the bios?
2) If I only change the boot source to the ssd, will leaving the os on the hdd cause a conflict? I'd like to have the os on the hdd at least until i'm convinced the ssd is working correctly.

Dell XPS 8500 running damned 8.1

Solution
Hi

does the laptop have 2 hard drive bays and a DVD drive bay or a Hard drive bay and a DVD bay ?
what happens if you insert the Hard drive in the bay the SSD was in previously. ?

(swap ssd & hard drive from previous positions when hard drive was boot drive)

Note F12 at power on lets you choose boot device on most Dell laptops & PC's without going into BIOS

(F12 may be locked out if previous owner or IT department was trying to prevent un authorised access)

regards

Mike Barnes

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

Dell will have records of who purchased the PC or laptop

Dell and Dell dealers have a reset disk which can erase the chip where the pass word is stored

Can you swap locations where SSD and hard drives are located to see if this changes the boot drive

Regards
Mike Barnes

RothALD

Estimable
Nov 1, 2014
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the quick response and I can understand the security precaution. I've got the ssd plugged in where the hard drive was ( sata port "0"?) and therefore don't need to change the boot order but I would like to use the hard drive again at some point.
I have filled out the transfer of ownership form on the Dell site. Unfortunately, I don't have the (ebay) seller's email or phone number. I'll give Dell a week and then try them again.

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

does the laptop have 2 hard drive bays and a DVD drive bay or a Hard drive bay and a DVD bay ?
what happens if you insert the Hard drive in the bay the SSD was in previously. ?

(swap ssd & hard drive from previous positions when hard drive was boot drive)

Note F12 at power on lets you choose boot device on most Dell laptops & PC's without going into BIOS

(F12 may be locked out if previous owner or IT department was trying to prevent un authorised access)

regards

Mike Barnes

Solution

TRENDING THREADS