Support for Win 2K, XP SP2 ends July 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Hard to believe but I still encounter companies running web servers on Win2K. I don't know if it is management ignorance or just lack of IT staff to replace it.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I hope XP users do get viruses. They've had ample time to upgrade to Windows Vista. There are no excuses for still using XP. Microsoft should have discontinued support for XP a long time ago.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]I hope XP users do get viruses. They've had ample time to upgrade to Windows Vista. There are no excuses for still using XP. Microsoft should have discontinued support for XP a long time ago.[/citation]I hope you're just trolling...

Doesn't win2k still have fewer exploits than XP and Vista?

[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Hard to believe but I still encounter companies running web servers on Win2K. I don't know if it is management ignorance or just lack of IT staff to replace it.[/citation]The motto in a profitable company is, "If it isn't broken, still works, and isn't costing us in overhead, don't change it." I use the word "works" loosely.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I do single-player almost exclusively. Only once in a (long) while I'll do two-player with a friend over my network; never online.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Huh? Srry. I don't know how that got posted; I think my auto-login software did it somehow... Can a mod/admin delete both my comments? Thnx.

FoShizzleDizzle

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]I hope XP users do get viruses. They've had ample time to upgrade to Windows Vista. There are no excuses for still using XP. Microsoft should have discontinued support for XP a long time ago.[/citation]
Your foolishness lies in viewing 'ample time' to be synonymous with 'ample reasons'.

Upendra09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I am still running XP on an old desktop and Vista Premium on a HP laptop

i still like XP and don't see much of a difference between Vista and XP, in fact my faster HP laptop takes just the smae mount of time to boot up as the 1.2 ghz tualatin Celeron, so it shows how bloated the OS is

i plan on building a new tower and going directly to 7

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Why would anyone not want to upgrade to Windows 7 from XP. If you want DirectX 11, Trim for SSDs, better security, cleaner interface, better multi-core support, more stable kernel, XP Virtualization, etc. People swearing dedication remind me of those old timers that won't leave their home when their warned to evacuate for a flood.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Considering the software is now 10 years old, that is not a bad thing. Besides, it's not like XP is going to all of a sudden stop working. It just won't have any support. After 10 years anyways, if someone still needs support for XP, they may want to consider retiring from computers all together.

longerlife

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Are MS really supposed to continue supporting software they will no longer sell and have superseded (twice) forever...

By all means use XP if you want, but it was never sold as software with a lifetime of free updates.

Really simple, official support is ending, if that support is important to you, you will need to update, if not, don't worry about it and carry on...

This move is squarely aimed at businesses to give them a kick up the butt and get them to update their tired IT infrastructures.

Hopefully it will give an added boost to hardware manufacturers and the IT industry at large, which lets face it we all love...

It probably won't do the global economy too much harm either, (and yes it will directly increase Microsoft's profits too).

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
How many PEOPLE actually call microsoft for support? End users who buy HPaq/Dells contact Dell. Those who build our own PCs, don't need MS and theres a huge data base of tech info and forum boards with XP info.

But downgrading XP to vista to upgrade to Win7 is stupid. Win7 can be used to install on an XP box, but it'll wipe the drive... which should be done anyway for any major OS change.

G

[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]Push everyone to Windows 7 , it is superior. =3[/citation]
Not in every aspect!
For audio and video engineers, XP and Windows 98se where the best tools on the market (with an ASIO driver).

The problems with bigger and heavier OS'es is that you have increased latencies for audio and in video. In order to synchronize audio and video is particular CPU intensive, and the switch from XP to Windows 7 takes several milliseconds tol on latency!

For live synthesizer or musicians, anything beyond 12ms (or about 256 samples at 44,1kHz) is noticeable (much like LCD's with latencies of tens of ms of delay is noticable for experienced gamers).
I'm convinced that unless MS is going to refocus on creating a platform that has a better solution than XP, most audio and video engineers will continue to use XP for perhaps many more years!
And especially audio engineers,since Windows 7 offers no benefit whatsoever over XP on audio field.
Video only if you're using DX11 effects within a clip.

G

Ow,and also, one word where XP beats windows 7:
netbooks!

It is also a BIG market.
I think MS needs to refocus on getting an ultra light OS, that is fast, compatible, and is Windows; and save the eyecandy,and total compatibility and automatic background activity for it's regular end users.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]The motto in a profitable company is, "If it isn't broken, still works, and isn't costing us in overhead, don't change it." I use the word "works" loosely.[/citation]Bullshit alert.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]FoShizzleDizzle[/nom]Your foolishness lies in viewing 'ample time' to be synonymous with 'ample reasons'.[/citation]
There are plenty of reasons like fewer crashes and better security. Things like audio and video should not has direct access to hardware except in cases where Microsoft says it is ok. There will be fewer security issues this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.