Surface Pro 3 Vs. Macbook Pro

gamenets

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013
Hey guys, I'm looking for a recommendation for my laptop purchase. Recently my computer's CPU has been overheating and I was looking to completely overhaul my desktop, but my dad said that I should instead just buy a laptop for college. I'm currently a high school senior and will soon enroll in college intending to major in economics and math. So I have been looking at the Surface Pro 3 with i5 and 128GB with the keyboard and the Macbook Pro with Retina (i5 with 128GB). Which laptop is better for me who does some gaming (Starcraft II, League of Legends, etc.) and needs it to last 4-5 years till i graduate college? If you have any other recommendations for laptops I overlooked I would love them. Thanks for taking the time to help me a good purchase I really appreciate it.

Here are some requirements:
- Good Battery Life
- Durable (needs to last 4-5 years)
- $1000-$1400
- Available at BestBuy
- Good for Moderate gaming.

Solution
I hate macs but definatley the Macbook. The Surface is a tablet by nature and so it won't handles games that well today, and certainly not 4-5 years from now. However, both of these have integrated graphics which will (again) definatley not hold up 4-5 years from now. If you are willing to go for a windows laptop that is 1000-1400, but still pretty portable I'd certainly reccomend this:
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y40/?sb=:000001C9:00011F89:
Note: There are a lot of models of the Y40, but this one in particular is a very good deal. For $1049 you get:

-An i7 (albeit, a dual core) processor
-A Dedicated r9 M275 graphics card w/ 4GB dedicated video memory (this card is roughly equivalent to the 760M)
-16GB of RAM...

armapker

Distinguished
May 19, 2012
I hate macs but definatley the Macbook. The Surface is a tablet by nature and so it won't handles games that well today, and certainly not 4-5 years from now. However, both of these have integrated graphics which will (again) definatley not hold up 4-5 years from now. If you are willing to go for a windows laptop that is 1000-1400, but still pretty portable I'd certainly reccomend this:
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y40/?sb=:000001C9:00011F89:
Note: There are a lot of models of the Y40, but this one in particular is a very good deal. For $1049 you get:

-An i7 (albeit, a dual core) processor
-A Dedicated r9 M275 graphics card w/ 4GB dedicated video memory (this card is roughly equivalent to the 760M)
-16GB of RAM
-A 512GB SSD
-A 1080p screen

If you want to save some money, go ahead and get a cheaper model of the Y40 (they all have the same graphics cards, although some only have 2gb of video memory, and they all have sufficient RAM, etc...) but I definatley think the one I linked you is the best bet for you.

With reguards to mobility its a 14" screen and it weighs 4.85 pounds so its probably a bit heaver than the mac but it will provide much better performance.

Solution