Surround in Man cave

Hookouts

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017
I'm building a man cave that's 30 x 40' with full bar, pool table, pub tables, etc. Is it possible to get surround sound with out using any type of floor speakers that may be kicked over and damaged? Will wall and ceiling speakers give me a good surround sound effect?

Solution
You can mount them in the corners, go with Dolby Atmos which uses speakers all around, etc. Comes down to price you want to spend.

Also, what are you thinking of for sound. I assume the entire 30x40 area isn't going to be the "movie area" in which you would want the surround to be, but then do you want sound in the rest of the area.

There are AVR's that have multiple zones now.

You can mount them in the corners, go with Dolby Atmos which uses speakers all around, etc. Comes down to price you want to spend.

Also, what are you thinking of for sound. I assume the entire 30x40 area isn't going to be the "movie area" in which you would want the surround to be, but then do you want sound in the rest of the area.

There are AVR's that have multiple zones now.

Solution
If you get high quality in wall speakers you can get excellent surround sound. You would need additional speakers for music to get coverage in a space that large.
You can sometimes mount rear surrounds in the back corners but front speakers should never go in corners. If you decide to do Atmos you will need to position all your speakers at ear level with Atmos speakers in the ceiling,
If you are going to spend some money getting a good home theater installer will be worth while.