surround sound 5.1 speakers rear won't play

ChrisStevP

Estimable
Apr 25, 2015
I have a pioneer sx-315 surround sound receiver, and I have a 5.1 speaker setup. When I do a test play on the speakers, sound goes through all of them, but when actually using the speakers the rear ones won't work. I set up with my TV and play station to work with surround sound, but the rear ones still don't play anything. Everything works, the speakers, receiver, wires, etc. Can anyone help me find a way to get my rear speakers to work? Thanks ahead of time!

Solution
two big questions:

how are you connected to the receiver (what ports and wires)
does your receiver actually support 5.1 over coax and optical (many cheap receivers do not!)

most likely you're only capable of a 2.0 input which is causing the problem. do read the manual to see if 5.1 input is supported though.
two big questions:

how are you connected to the receiver (what ports and wires)
does your receiver actually support 5.1 over coax and optical (many cheap receivers do not!)

most likely you're only capable of a 2.0 input which is causing the problem. do read the manual to see if 5.1 input is supported though.

Solution
1. If the TV is connected with a digital cable then make sure that the TV audio menu is set for surround (set it to the other option). If the TV is connected with an analog stereo connection try a different surround mode like Dolby Prologic II or movie.
3. Most programs will have little or no rear channel information so try it with a disc or find a blockbuster movie that will use the rears a lot.