Surround sound from GPU to receiver

SirbigWheel

Estimable
Feb 28, 2015
I am trying to set up surround sound from my PC my receiver using my graphics card through HDMI. I have found a few other threads about this, but the solutions have not helped me.

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 series.
Reveiver: Yamaha RX-V673

Any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Solution
sound properties
playback devices
make sure receiver (or hdmi output) is set as default
configure
5.1 (push next until finished)
test tones.

(your amd digital audio settings should default to whatever you pick in windows but do check that it also says your receiver is set. i cant guide you on where this is in the menu since i use nvidia myself not amd but it is in the amd control center)

on receiver, set mode to "auto surround"

try that with a source known to be recorded in 5.1 such as a new release movie. also, do not use VLC media player to do this.

(i connect up to a receiver via dvi-to-hdmi cable for sound as well... and pass-through video from receiver to tv for video)

it would also help if you said what is working and what is...
sound properties
playback devices
make sure receiver (or hdmi output) is set as default
configure
5.1 (push next until finished)
test tones.

(your amd digital audio settings should default to whatever you pick in windows but do check that it also says your receiver is set. i cant guide you on where this is in the menu since i use nvidia myself not amd but it is in the amd control center)

on receiver, set mode to "auto surround"

try that with a source known to be recorded in 5.1 such as a new release movie. also, do not use VLC media player to do this.

(i connect up to a receiver via dvi-to-hdmi cable for sound as well... and pass-through video from receiver to tv for video)

it would also help if you said what is working and what is not.

Solution

nealiegotcha

Estimable
Feb 28, 2015

Hi mate, i was using a Single Link Dvi to Hdmi Cable for GPU to TV but after reading a few bits i changed to HDMI, i obviously have noticed no difference due to TV capabilities but i still can't get around not being able to use my Recon 3d rather than GTX680 sound... any advice suggestions there ?

if your soundcard supports optical or coax digital it can output 5.1 to your receiver however sound quality will suffer because only compressed audio can be output in such a manner.

hdmi or dvi output is uncompressed for 5.1 so will have a slight boot in terms of sound quality.

not sure i see the benefit of using a soundcard (since its not like you need it to process virtual surround or anything) but if you absolutely must use it then the above is what you want to do.

myself, i let the receiver decode everything in DD format but typically it plays things in uncompressed PCM