Surround sound help

peel23171

Prominent
Aug 12, 2017
Hello and need help with my surround sound dilemmas! I have purchased a Sony android smart Tv model Kd 49XD8099. I have a sky hd box, PlayStation 3 and my beloved Arcam solo 5.1 surround sound.
The initial set up was completed by seven oaks sound using HDMI and coaxial leads? I was told that HDMI cables are only required? Do I require both. Trouble is now I can't get the surround sound to work through my speakers when I'm watching sky, playing PlayStation, watching blue ray via PlayStation, Netflix via TV. I have tried so many times now to get the surround sound to work through my speakers and really need help. Hopefully I'm doing something wrong with my set up and all can be resolved. Please help, Neil

Solution
You need HDMI to connect your sources to the TV. You do need the digital audio output of the TV to the Arcam to get audio from the TV into it. You can't use HDMI for that because the Arcam doesn't support HDMI-ARC (audio return channel).
You are getting sound from the TV to the Arcam but not surround sound?
To get surround sound check the TV audio menu. Try changing the audio output type.
Make sure the Arcam is set to Dolby Digital surround sound.
If you aren't getting any sound make sure you have selected the correct input on the Arcam and that the audio output is turned on in the TV.
You need HDMI to connect your sources to the TV. You do need the digital audio output of the TV to the Arcam to get audio from the TV into it. You can't use HDMI for that because the Arcam doesn't support HDMI-ARC (audio return channel).
You are getting sound from the TV to the Arcam but not surround sound?
To get surround sound check the TV audio menu. Try changing the audio output type.
Make sure the Arcam is set to Dolby Digital surround sound.
If you aren't getting any sound make sure you have selected the correct input on the Arcam and that the audio output is turned on in the TV.

Solution