Surround sound?

Optbuild

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Hi all,

I have a laptop with hdmi connection to my tv which works fine. I am looking for the cheapest and easiest way to connect up my 5.1 surround sound speakers to the tv/laptop.

I current have an amplifier with built in DVD player connected to the tv via SCART connection. The surround sound works fine when a DVD is playing. The amp does not have a hdmi port, I guess if it did I could plug the laptop to the amp via hdmi and then the amp to the tv via hdmi. This way I would get both picture from the laptop to the tv and sound from the laptop to the surround sound speakers.

Is there any easy/ quick way to solve this, thanks.

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
If your television has a digital audio output on it, you can use a coax, or optical connector from that output to your receiver's input. if not, you are stuck with a 1/8 minijack to RCA from your notebook's headphone jack, to the receiver's stereo input.

Optbuild

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Thanks, my TV does not have a coax or optical connector.

Do you mean my laptop headphone jack to the amplifiers L and R phono connectors?

Thanks again

BloodHK47

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Connect your HDMI cable from laptop to your receiver because the cable out from receiver goes to tv anyways. Just choose which port you want the HDMI cable to go in and switch input on receiver to it.

batuchka

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hmm what inputs are on the receiver i.e is there coax/optical? You can pass video directly to the TV and if coax/optical are available on the receiver, pass audio to it?

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
You can also change your audio mode to to AFD Pro Logic II with your AFD button. your system supports it, and this will give you a fairly good surround sound as well.

Optbuild

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
When I plug the laptop to TV via HDMI, the sound and video seems to be in sync... this is fantastic, but surprising. How are they able synchronise?

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
The speed of the decoding is so fast you don't really notice any difference. There has been issue previously with HDTV synching, but it's either related to TV hardware and Gaming, or poor broadcast quality.